Help with creating SVG

If it was a request from an owner of the image, ask for a higher quality image to start with.
If you have a really low quality image like that, you won’t get the fine details and the text will look off with a basic image trace.
That said, CC should load it ok.
JRs.svg

What were the issues you saw? can you share your SVG or the CC file?

2 Likes

This is what I saw. I’m trying to get better detail in the sporting equipment. I’m a new user so it won’t allow me to upload more than 1 photo at a time.

It’s gonna be a bit of work to recreate it from scratch. I would contact the owner & see if they have a high res image to start with. Or if you’re in Johnstown, take a ladder & get a better image from the front of the building / awning.
I’m not familiar with Inkscape, but I gotta believe there is a way to get just the lines between the black & white, and not lines for every shade of gray. ??

1 Like

Try the SVG I uploaded. Basic image trace in inkscape with no changes from default.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s a lot better than what I had but I’d still like a little more detail in there. Not sure how people make ANY image work perfectly. Is there a graphics program out there for this?

Just re-draw:

1 Like

Like @WillAdams said, not everything is automatic. I’d redraw it (I’d use inkscape). You could find a matching font for the smaller text.
For something like that, you can get by with little skill if you have a lot of patience.

1 Like

Another think in Inkscape is some images are losing parts. When you go to the Trace Bitmap there is a sensitivity and a preview to tone down things that are too busy or not dark enough.

Here are some examples.

This is basically the default setting

Here is the level moved up.

Here is the level moved down.

So playing with the level of sensitivity can help with images. I have mine set for real time update but if in doubt hit the update button before hitting OK.

1 Like

This is the biggest file I could find online. I tried to convert it to an SVG. Limited Success.
jrs pub

Try loading the image into https://convertio.co/ to convert it to an svg.
I use it all the time, it’s free, but only for 10mins/day.
Plenty of time for my work though.

I did get something worked out. Thanks for the help everyone.

Care to share the solution?

Honestly, I’m not sure of the exact solution but someone ran it through a program on a Mac for me and it turned out quite well.

This was a tough one. I run in to issues like this pretty often but my experience with graphic design is very limited.

Someone else recommended convertio. I’ll keep that in mind for future issues.

I find that when I scan an image and the lines aren’t crisp and clean there is a ton of post processing. If you are good at image editing (and I’m not), then you need to figure out what is your time worth.

Is it worth it to spend a few hours editing. I usually get frustrated and walk away after a period of time. Family and close friends not included.

Not good at image editing either.

I’m constantly messing with those settings, also in real time and hit the update button after every click. Sometimes I have good luck with it and other times I don’t.

Well there are a lot of tutorials on youtube for Inkscape. Now Inkscape is free and you get what you pay for but a lot of people use it very successfully. There is no automagical button that does what you are thinking about to make things turn out your way. It takes a learning curve but if you dont go up the curve you wont learn. Life is always pulling us every which way. You have to stop the pulling and go where you want to go. If you want to learn to make good images you have to go up that learning curve.

There are other options but Inkscape is a good graphics program but unfortunately is not intuitive and has a steep learning curve. Inkscape pretty much mirrors the rest of life, hard but in the end has a reward if you try. Inkscape has no participation award only success or failure. So try looking at some tutorials on youtube and see what rewards you can reap.

1 Like

I don’t think that statement really applies to open source software, especially in this case. Inkscape is a pretty powerful vector graphics program.

5 Likes