Hopefully last newbie question. Setting the correct Z height

reinstalled and still having the same problems.

Are you near the bottom of zaxis travel when you start the job? Does it seem like it springs back at all while running or does it move smoothly throughout? The bit isnā€™t get pushed into the collet right?

Does it take multiple passes in the air before making the shallow cut in the final pass or does it cut early and just never go deeper? I canā€™t look at the file now but the cc origin is bottom/left/TOP right? If you set it to bottom it would retract the thickness of your stock.

I have plenty of available z axis travel. Runs smooth and no binding of the motors. The only time it binds is after it runs the program and travels to the back of the machine. The Z carriage travels too far up and the motor make that ā€œburmpā€ noise.

When running the router makes multiple passes and travels downwards, just not far enough.

Maybe you should clear all offset before setting zero. I got similar problem in the past and it was due to CM4 and gbrl 1.1 but I think this is not your case.

Tried that, didnā€™t work.

Iā€™m pretty certain the machine is seeing the up 12mm (when it asks you to load the tool) as the new Z zero value.

Okay. Maybe we should try removing Carbide Motion from the equation here.

Try one of the other communication / control programs?

There was also a bug report:

uncontrolled motion after zeroing using the Carbide Motion software.
Before jogging after a zero, exit the zero-ing screen, enter the jog screen. Then exit the jog screen, then re-enter the jog screen. You should now be able to jog without possession.[15]

wiki says there are no uploads available from that repository.

Anyway, thanks for everyoneā€™s help. Unfortunately I donā€™t have anymore time to commit for this equipment. Iā€™ve already wasted way too much time and effort and I believe this is a software issue. Software isnā€™t my strength so I canā€™t deal with buggy software.

Please try https://github.com/winder/Universal-G-Code-Sender for UGS.

@EvanDay Thank you for testing out the file!

I wish we could add in a spoilboard to the kits ā€” that and noting specifically to try removing one of the springs if using the new Z-axis plate would help a lot in troubleshooting.

Guess I should try working up a flow chart or something.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club. I just gave up carbide motion after I destroyed my dust shoe when the CM decided to start the homing cycle.

I just wanted to close the loop on this thread. It ended up being a software issue. I uninstalled both Carbide Motion and Carbide Create, deleted all files, directories, etc related to any of the carbide stuff (for example the drivers were still installed after uninstalling the program) and reinstalled Carbide Motion. Everything is working as it should.

Stand is built. Next iā€™ll be modifying the waste board and building a rack to hold the end mills and simple tools.

2 Likes

Very glad (and relieved!) you got this working. Mystified as to what was wrong in the software, and please accept my apologies for having been so wrong and far off-base.

Iā€™m glad you got it sorted as well. I donā€™t use Carbide Create very often, I am more a fan of Fusion 360 at this point. Even though it is more complex, I feel it gives me much better control over what I am trying to make. Unfortunately I donā€™t have it figured out yet very well for V-carving or engraving. Working on learning Inkscape to import .svg files into Carbide Create.

1 Like

I ran into this same issue yesterday after installing the new Carbide Create. My bit was ā€œcuttingā€ about 12 mm above the project board. It turned out that the new version has the Z Axis referenced to Top. I changed it to Bottom and everything worked again.

1 Like

That could be a bug, if itā€™s set to top and you zero to top that should work. If you set to bottom and zero to top then it makes sense it would cut above the material.

URGHā€¦ itā€™s doing it again! Waited for the 1/8" collet so I can cut smaller holes. Get the file designed and go to cut and the router runs at the Z zero height and doesnā€™t cut into the material. I re-model it in carbide create with stock thickness bottom and it runs the cut patter well above the media.

Any ideas? Is this software really this buggy?

Itā€™s not the software.

Letā€™s start here:
Is where YOU are setting the Z zero and where CC has the Z setting, are they the same (top-top, top, bottom, etc)?

Iā€™m setting Z zero 1mm above the media iā€™m cutting. CC has the media set as Top.

Well, they need to be the same, but 1mm MIGHT be close enough. How about posting your CC (C2D) file, so we can look at your settings