Hopefully last newbie question. Setting the correct Z height

Here is the file i’m trying to cut. Any insights on what i’m doing wrong is greatly appreciated11x11v.c2d (49.7 KB)

The file looks good.

thanks for taking a look at it.

Not to seem like we are treating you like you don’t know what you are doing, but in the beginning when you set your machine up, were you able to successfully run the “Hello World” test? The one where you attach a sharpie to your router with no bit and it draws the logo on the paper?

2 Likes

Actually I went straight to trying to cut parts. I’ll run the hello world test and report back.

1 Like

I just ran the file. It more/less ran correctly. I think I had the pen a little tight to the board.

More importantly when I tried to lower the pen to the board the cartridge stopped but I still had travel left in the cartridge. I turned the power on/off, homed the machine, then was able to lower the cartridge the full amount. Any ideas what may be limiting the travel on the Z axis?

Please check your Grbl settings.

Send $$ to the sustem when you have the Log window open.

1 Like

There are several reason for the Z to stop. V-Wheels to tight, set screw for the belt pulley no tight, set screw not on the motor’s flat, belt not installed correctly, GRBL Z travel not set to 80mm or any combination of them,

The Z should NEVER stop mid-way.

With the power off, slowly slightly raise and lower the Z from the top (Z-limit switch) to the bottom (about 3 inches). Does it roll smoothly? Do you feel any resistance?

I wouldn’t call it resistance more like a slight bump about an inch down. Adjusted the top wheel and it’s rolling smoothly now. Will check the set screws, belt and pulley tomorrow when there is better light. Will also send the $$ to the log and report back in the morning.

Appreciate the help.

1 Like

I made adjustments to the carriage, belts, etc. Operates very smoothly by hand. Still have issues connecting, have to restart a few times because of the grbl not connecting errors. Finally get it connected and start the job. 34% into the project it just stops moving. G code is no longer running and the router is just sitting in the last position. Something is very wrong with this machine and it is not mechanical.

Okay; that takes us into electronic /EMI

https://shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Electronics#Recommendations

1 Like

I’ve done best practice from the beginning. This is running off my garage wiring so nothing else is running on this circuit. Wires are apart, the laptop is as far from the table as the usb cable allows, etc.

Honestly, if this equipment it that sensitive that I need to start running special grounds and other nonsense I’m not interested in keeping the machine.

I was having freezing up issues also at higher speeds on mine. I got a usb powered hub and this usb isolator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XXPO4UG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and for me it resolved the issue. I even have the machine and router on the same outlet along with my shop vac

3 Likes

Yeah my machine runs on the outlet with my shopvac as well and I don’t have that issue. I just get the ‘hiccup’ when powering off the router, and only sometimes.

1 Like

Would anyone who is having troubles with their Z-axis please check their Grbl settings against the official defaults?

http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/38-shapeoko-3-default-grbl-settings

In particular, check the setting for $1

I’m experiencing more grbl errors. Sometimes I can connect to the machine, sometimes not. I wassn’t able to get it to home on my laptop running windows 8.1 so I hooked it up to my desktop with windows 10. It connects but will not home.

I ran the settings and they look fine.

Test Waiting…
<Idle,MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000,WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000,Buf:0,RX:0,Ln:0,F:0.>
___________$0=10 ___________
ok
___________$1=255 ___________
___________$2=0 ___________
___________$3=6 ___________
___________$4=0 ___________
___________$5=0 ___________
___________$6=0 ___________
___________$10=255 ___________
___________$11=.02 ___________
___________$12=.01 ___________
___________$13=0 ___________
___________$20=0 ___________
___________$21=0 ___________
___________$22=0 ___________
___________$23=0 ___________
___________$24=100 ___________
___________$25=1000 ___________
___________$26=25 ___________
___________$27=5 ___________
___________$100=40 ___________
___________$101=40 ___________
___________$102=40 ___________
___________$110=5000 ___________
___________$111=5000 ___________
___________$112=5000 ___________
___________$120=400 ___________
___________$121=400 ___________
___________$122=400 ___________
___________$130=425 ___________
___________$131=465 ___________
___________$132=80 ___________
<Idle,MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000,WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000,Buf:0,RX:0,Ln:0,F:0.>

1 Like

Darn. Was hoping that was it.

Please contact support@carbide3d.com, enumerate what you’ve tried already (so that we don’t waste time on asking you to do things which you’ve already done) and we’ll get this puzzled out — probably by referring you up to an electrical engineer, and possibly sending you a USB isolator.

Thank you for your patience. If you’ll work with us, we will get this puzzled out.

1 Like

I understand your frustration. I was there before. I took me almost a year to realize that the main sources of my frustration were EMI and the software. For EMI, I followed the painful process based on the recommendations WillAdams posted. Do not that; you are going to get more frustration. Go directly to the source of the problem. You need to isolate the controller card from EMI. This is what I did: 1. I installed a shielded USB (provided by Carbide 3D. Excellent customer service btw) and 2. I implemented some sort of cable management in my machine. For the software I am half a way. I had moved from carbide create to Sketchup/MakerCam and now to U-GCode. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Carbide 3d sent me a new board and it seemed to help my connection issues but no i’m not able to home the machine. It says GRBL error: setting disabled. I checked the settings and it shows homing = true. What am I missing?

Never mind, I just realized it need to re-initiate the homing process. I think this is it. Going to cut a part, fingers crossed.

2 Likes