How to do this secret box on a CNC?

Reworking the design to take the use of the Keyhole toolpath into consideration we have:

One further improvement will be to chamfer the corners (we will also do this to the top/bottom after machining).

Lastly we will save in two separate files, for the bottom and lid, and adjust the thickness for the latter.

Sorry, I missed that. I should read more carefully.

1 Like

Before committing to separating the top and bottom as two discrete files, we verify the design by working out what the cut will look like in profile:

Increase the size of the surrounding geometry so that it projects beyond the other outlines:

Rotate each -45 degrees:

Done

Remove the unneeded outlines:

Shift things up a bit to make room for the profiles:

and draw in rectangles:

Align an outline of the dovetail tool with the profile:

Select the feature which it will be matched with and use Align:

to move it into position.

Repeat for the others:

Boolean subtract each (or use Trim Vectors):

Draw in geometry to match the pockets which will be cut to either side of the dovetails on the lid:

and align it with the bottom of the dovetail cut:

Boolean subtract it as well:

Repeat until one arrives at:

Duplicate the lid, rotate it 180 degrees and check the fit/match:

and apparently the dovetail toolpaths need to be shifted a bit…

This much:

hang on while some adjustments are made…

Eventually we arrive at:

which passes muster and is okay to go on with separating into two files (once we chamfer the corners)

1 Like

To keep this simple, we’ll do one piece of stock and centered as shown above:

First step is preparing the stock — the piece I have in mind is rough-cut, so there will be a bit of prep-work, probably a separate post.

Or, maybe it’s easier to match the stock as clamped in place:

One other touch is pockets for magnets:

Hopefully final version:

Take 2

Impossible_Dovetail_Box_v7.c2d (132 KB)

Note on tooling — the last toolpath in the above uses a #102, but this needs to be a long reach tool, in this case a Garr Tool Series 620MEDP#41030 1/8"x3x1"

https://www.garrtool.com/product-details/?EDP=41030

The dovetail tool used is apparently discontinued, but was still available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Dia-Dovetail-Shank-22-104/dp/B00002241Z

Note on workholding — belt and suspenders will be needed here — you’ll want an adhesive workholding system holding the parts in place, or you’ll need to add tabs, or you’ll have to do as I did, and halt the cut short of the bottom and cut the parts free by hand.

And success

Note that with an onion-skin, one can hold things up to a light (or use a lightbox) to determine where to cut:

except for a bit of post-processing and installing magnets and finishing:

A couple of minute’s work w/ a file and plane:

7 Likes

and a bit of sanding and gluing magnets and we have a product which just wants a finish (probably just oil and beeswax)

8 Likes

Project post-mortem:

There was some tearout (as can be seen in the photos), and some uneven tool alignment — leave a roughing clearance for final passes — recommended tooling for final passes:

• the dovetail tool — add additional passes w/ it using the keyhole tool so that it cuts the bottom of the entirety of the underside of the lid
  • a sharper tool for the sides — need to find a long-reach 1/8" downcut

Another possibility is just cutting it to final dimensions after putting in the magnets, cutting it to final dimensions/shape on my Jointmaker Pro:

3 Likes

And finished:

8 Likes

Fir needles are the bane of my life. They love my dogs hair, my shoes,…

The shade and wind break makes the bother worth it.

We have pretty decent mats inside/out which get most (and no pets unless my son is visiting w/ his dog) — I just sweep each time my wife leaves the house (we disagree on the topic of wearing shoes in the house).

I believe the 14 degree tool in this bundle:

https://www.rockler.com/4-piece-8mm-dovetail-router-bit-upgrade

would be a workable replacement for the above dovetail tool — wants an 8mm collet though (which I think is a good idea, and worth trying).

I believe it’s also available separately:

https://www.rockler.com/8mm-14deg-dovetail-bit

2 Likes