How to invert a DFX file

I have a cad file of a 2.5D relief and want to invert it so that the shape is cut into the wood rather than being proud of the wood. I’ve tried using -1 as the Z scaling factor but that didn’t work. Any ideas?
Cheers
Mike

Which tool are you using?

Usually the easiest thing to do is to add geometry — see the discussion at: Nvy logo svg file

Hi Will, I’m using Meshcam V6 but have Meshmixer, Inkscape,CC and Fusion 360 at my disposal if needed. I also have the file as a STL if that’s any help.
Cheers
Mike

Is there an option in one of those programs to Boolean subtract what you have?

Is the file a 3D model like an .STL or is it a 2D graphic such as an .SVG?

2D graphics can be manipulated with CC in the way that @WillAdams has shown. If it’s a 3D model you will need to modify it in a different way using either Meshmixer or Fusion 360. In either of those tools you could create a rectangular block that covers the entire relief and then do a boolean on it cut a reverse relief in the block. That would leave you a model you could use to create toolpaths for in MeshCAM or Fusion 360.

1 Like

you an also convert the STL to a depthmap PNG (see other threads here) for use in CC

1 Like

Thanks for all the help, I’ll try some of them this week and see how it goes.
Cheers
Mike

In the end I just remade the scrabble tiles in CC as I wanted to make some design changes anyway. I’ll keep the boolean subtract in mind as a neat trick.
Cheer
Mike

1 Like