I am leaving you Aluminium and am taking the end mills!

Well Crap, I knew this relationship would end in tears, but she’s pushed me too far this time!! And I fear there’s is no going back.

I just wanted to make a simple design at first, so came up with a key shape with nice round edges etc, also this will be the Key to my Success… or in my case the numchucks of defeat.

Ok this is what i ended up with (focus on key not box contour come onto that in a bit, i think we can all agree that this is less than on message for finishing result.

the Stats: i had a 4 flute TIAN coated 3.175mm end mill upcut (cant remember the feeds and speeds but they where low / conservative), but all this seemed to do was get worse and the cut went on, ending with an ESTOP (can see the circle in contour) as it started to generate loads of heat.

This was why, the aluminium was fusing to the mill (see below) as you can see below, oh well, only and end mill - yeah right, that was untill i tried to take the piece off the wasteboard, then i was annoyed! I didnt want to use tabs as i wanted to do a straight cut through so used double sided tape & claps for work holding.

!

Well when i tried to lift it off the MDF board, i know it was not going to end well, tried everything, in the end had to use a chisel to lift it up and insert loud ripping / tearing sound, as a section roughly 5x5" teared out of my wasteboard, the heat had melted the glue in the tape and bonded to the first few mm of MDF.

After saying things like Oh dear this is disappointing, and i am not happy about this (but i used less words and most sounded like trucking, truck, truckers) i resurfaced the board and carried on, only the damage was so bad i had to take it all apart and put a brand new one on!!!

Decided to sort myself out and not cry into my beer, i thought i know i will create a little job to sort this out and learn in the process, so created a small cut 30mm x 56mm to contour the cut out and then leave me with clean stock again.

Did some more reading and after an hour or so came up with these F&S based on a 0.001" chipload as always pointed out by Mr @Julien

Still felt a little high to me but, GWIZZ is like SATNAV no point in having it if you decide you know better or choose not to follow it. so back to the table i went.

It started cutting and was sounding ok (or at least was not screaming or chattering) again the contour tops looked a mess, but on the last pass, i heard that lovely sound we all understand, “PING” rev increase then settle, yip the end mill was left in the stock, but it did cut 1.5mm at least.

!

I looked at the chips i was making and as you see below, it ranged from, dust looking (worrying) small chips (happier) massive stringy bits (don’t know how to feel about that as it might be good or bad !)

!

This toe tipping into the water flet more like cutting my feet and diving into the shark pool. and the whole thing has left me feeling less that confident to try anything again, and between the two end mils and stock i am down around £50.

Now whilst that is not a huge amount, what is frustrating me is that i have no idea what to do, try , attempt differently. With wood i am in a happy place, as in i look at a cut and say, oh this has happened because of X thing, with metals i am just looking at the material going “it snapped!”

Now that i am at the end of this post, I kind of feel better with mutual failure sharing :slight_smile: but lost interest in going back to metals. would it be possible for metal SO3ers out there to provide a fail safe (as much as it can be) use these F&S and End mill in a contour cut in 2mm 1050 H14 Aluminium and it will work - or is it not that simple?

Thanks as always
Jon

3 Likes

A couple of points:

• Tian end mills are junk for aluminium, you might get them to work but they are designed for steel
  • As you look o be in the UK and trying to machine sheet, I’d take a punt and say it’s a low grade? 10 or 20. For whatever reason all UK sheet ali that I have bought seems to be 20, this machines like a pig. It is gummy. Fine 50 upwards (usually special order)
  • A single flute or 2 flute are better to experiment with. If you drop me a message I might have a spare one I’d be happy to ship you. A 4 flute will give abetter surface but singles will rough all day long.

Don’t give up yet :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m a noob to machining and use a Nomad for Aluminium without too much trouble (despite all my complaining), so it can certainly be done on a Shapeoko.

And +1 for what @Luke said.

TiAlN and AlTiN are garbage for Aluminium. The whole point of these coatings is for high-temperature applications like steel. For Aluminium you want plain carbide or a coating like ZrN with high lubricity and low affinity. Likely not-coincidentally, these are the kinds of endmill sold on the Carbide 3D store.

And very very strong +1 to single-flute endmills. These have been a game-changer for me on the Nomad. The default 3-flute endmills were pure garbage for me. Just like you, I found that they gummed up extremely easily and the cut was terrible. I think for the higher flute counts you really need good chip evacuation like a compressed air nozzle. With single-flute though, basically the only thing you can do that will make a chip stick is cut through adhesive, otherwise they slip right off and everything is perfect.

4 Likes

To add to that, you can salvage the endmill by soaking it in lye.

4 Likes

@Luke is right. The 1050 you have is not suitable for machining at all. It’s like trying to cut 2nd hand chewing gum, or well-soaked original English countryside mud, with a hacksaw.

Alloy 6060 is very cheap and machines OK; it’s used a lot in extruded profiles for construction work and usually easily available. Flat extruded stock 40x2 mm or so tends to be 3€/meter or less. Alloy 6082 works very well, but is not always available in sheet form, meaning extruded flat stock may start a little thicker, 4 mm or so.

I’m shocked that your screenshot appears to recommend TiAlN-coatings for aluminium. Madness.

6 Likes

I’m going to guess that @gmack may not be a big fan of that application?

Luke,

Is there anyone you’d recommend in the UK for sourcing decent quality or even tooling plate Aluminium?

Thanks all for replies I have had a quick look for test stock @spargeltarzan I can see some 6082T6 near me is that the same?

Yes, T6 is warm-aged, a heat treatment. Good stuff for machining.

1 Like

Nah - I actually love snake oil and Fox “News”. I only recently learned about this one :wink:

3 Likes

Jon,

Have you seen the list on the Wiki?

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Materials#Aluminium

It’s even spelt correctly so we don’t even have the excuse that “I searched for it but…” :wink:

There’s a pretty good rundown of which Aluminium alloys are worth fighting with there.

5 Likes

Oh, and this from the Empire that drove Alan Turing to suicide for his proclivities…

3 Likes

@LiamN
Right - 6082T6 ordered
and i looking at 2x of these Single Flute They are solid Carbide Just worried it says nothing about Aluminium, would these be ok?

That I don’t know, none of the Rennie cutters say anything about aluminium, I bought some of the same 2 flute Aluminium bits from APT that you mention in the brass thread but I’m still measuring and 3D printing the prototype parts, haven’t attacked any metal yet.

We’ll have to rely on the folks with more experience for guidance on that…

1 Like

brill thanks for all your help tonight

1 Like

There’s some good hints in this thread that Julien pointed me to;

And Dan had some good stuff to say about cutting Al here;

4 Likes

Last tidbit - slotting toolpaths in aluminum in my world is almost pure evil. Adaptive for the win.

4 Likes

Hard to tell, I think I have a few of these I have only used them on acrylic, pvc and abs.

I only buy in bulk from a local machinists these days. I would scout out ebay for relevant size offcuts for general testing.

3 Likes

ok all i need now is the postie to bring me my new bits, and pieces. i decided to give it a fair crack and splashed out on a £40 end mill that i can also use in wood this is it Shiny - let you all know how i get on!!

so hopefully with the correct material 6082 T6 and Amana End Mill i might have sucsess.

Cheers
Jon

2 Likes

Spoiler alert: you will fall in love with single flutes and adaptive toolpaths, and soon you’ll be making giant heaps of chips with a renewed love for Aluminium

3 Likes