I am leaving you Aluminium and am taking the end mills!

Good Evening All !

Exciting times - my bit came and my 6082 T6 material arrived too. But i lost my nerve around F&S for adaptive test cut.

Mine is pretty much the same as C3D’s one

i am thinking about the following -

does this look OK to the metal heads out there?

Thanks
Jon

Side question, I see you are using climb milling. Would it be better to use conventional? Asking, as I will soon be cutting Aluminum for the first time as well.

Edit: Looking into resources online, it talks about conventional milling can re-cut chips as the chips are evacuated in the direction of the cut. So maybe climb is best for Aluminum?

It’s adequate in 99% of cases, aluminium or not. At least this was my take from this discussion:

2 Likes

During full width slotting your cutter is climb milling 50% or the time and conventional milling the other 50%

The biggest issue with slotting is chip evacuation and a four flute is pretty much the worst thing you can run in aluminum for that operation. An oil or wd-40 spray/drip would probably have saved the part but IMO the depth of cut was too conservative. You probably could have doubled it to increase the chip size and heat capacity.

Be careful with those style single flutes, the geometry is not as well suited for metal cutting as the carbide3d ones or say a Datron. Chip evacuation can still be an issue even though they are single flutes. I commonly had to reduce feeds/speeds/load sometimes up to 50% compared to a good endmill.

Yes slotting isn’t fun.
But if you learn to do it well you’ll be able to cut anything.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.