I may be new this but I am pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen

Long time ago I worked in a machine shop programming milling machines (by hand - we were a few years before AutoCad would export G-code to our Fadal machines - which were all networked via RS232 cables strewn all over the place) and one of the things we would need to do before we’d run a long run of anything is literally warm up the machine. I wrote a program that would just cycle all the axes for 30 minutes so that the bearings and lead screws could warm up and the machine would run true. My boss showed me on some scrap once what happened if you ran the machine cold versus with the grease nice and flowing and it was WAY off (like 30 thou).

Having said this I didn’t heat cycle this router but I did run it at 1 for a while before cranking it up. I wonder how these do with a VFD hooked up so I could get a more accurate spindle speed.

1 Like

This is what the brushes looked like when I took them out. The spindle itself was making a rather inglorious squeaking noise and it felt like something dragging even with the brushes out of it. I’d say it’s met a rather early demise.

1 Like

Yep, those plastic fragments are likely from the bearing housings. Probably time to send it back for a replacement.

I’m exchanging emails with support currently. I also ordered a Makita that should be here tomorrow so I don’t need to wait any longer to be making chips.

3 Likes

That’s funny. “A Chinese knock-off of a Makita Router”. And where is Makita made. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So are you insinuating that a POS China brand Chery car is as good as a Mercedes S class (built outside of Shanghai), because they are both built in China? I don’t get your pointless point.

Point in fact, China builds some very fine items…my iPhone for example and some really crappy stuff…like a $2 Arduino Uno (knock-off).

I’m in the cohort that is anxiously still waiting for them to come back in stock…according to @Jorge they should be ready

Maybe I just need to make my own as you suggest?

1 Like

That doesn’t look like a security tag. Could be wrong but It looks like an EMI filter. My router didn’t have one so i added one. On my old Shapeoko i had problems with disconnects because of EMI interference so i bought some and added them to the power cord. That eliminated the issue.

2-24-2021 6-26-29 AM

2 Likes

I opened mine up, it’s a security tag — left it on though, since it’s convenient to zip tie at would otherwise be a wear point.

2 Likes

…but there has been conjecture that Apple may turn a blind eye to how rare elements are mined!

I think the point of this entire post was ‘unproductive dead end’ regarding a router :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which one? Politics or facts? :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Still better then what happened to my router… I will take the smoker over the exploder

If you haven’t already, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to sort that out with you.

1 Like

It’s been fixed you guy overnighted me a new one.

2 Likes

Also look at the rpm chart in the manual no need to run it full out I may use the #4 setting at most other wise around 3.5. Even speeding the machine up to 200%.

1 Like

I wonder if you overtighten the screws on the mount would it apply too much pressure to the router housing including internal components like bearings or would the screw/bolt threads strip before getting to that point. These routers usually drop into the base and get held in place with a lever/clamp that you flip over so minimal pressure (adjusted to just the correct amount of pressure to hold it in place).