I'm ready to buy it

I am ready to buy the Shapeoko 5 Pro, what is everything else will I need to add from the Shapeoko website when I purchase it? And I am trusting you all for help on this, what Router should I get? I want to make things for home improvement, 3-D is also important and of course many other things. I just need to know what to add in the cart. And do I add extra bits and which ones? I don’t want to OVERKILL which I can easily do.

What you need to buy depends on what you already have and what you want to do with the machine and what materials you will be cutting and how you wish to approach projects.

Further details are available at appropriate places in this and also see: Machine operating checklist and be sure to read Introduction - Shapeoko CNC A to Z and Getting Started with CNC [Book]

• eye and hearing protection: https://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/safety-gear-and-necessary-precautions-when-using-the-machine/
  • Additional assembly tools: Flush cut pliers (or scissors — fingernail clippers can also be used to cut a short zip tie with a nicely rounded edge), Needle nose pliers, Tape measure or ruler, Level, Pencil; possibly also Easy-peel masking tape, such as blue painter’s tape (nothing that leaves a residue behind), Adjustable wrench, Flashlight
  • a trim router (you can order with a machine, but Carbide 3D only has our Carbide Compact Router and the ER-11 version, but if you prefer you could get a Makita RT0701/0700, or if getting a machine w/ a 69mm spindle mount a DeWalt DWP611/D26200)
  • some endmills (one is included with the machine, but they’re consumables: Shapeoko Endmill Starter Pack - Carbide 3D ) If one is starting with just a 1/4" collet:
    • three 2-flute 1/4" straight endmills (such as the #201 endmills from Carbide 3D — one will be included with the machine, a pack of two will fill one out with: 1 for initial experimentation/roughing, 1 for finishing passes, and 1 spare — if cutting wood or plywood a downcut endmill such as the #251 is recommended.
    • two 2-flute 1/4" ball end endmills (such as the #202 endmills from Carbide 3D) — if one wishes to do 3D modeling or cut parts which have rounded profiles along the bottom (often a good idea in woodworking for increased strength)
    • two 90 degree V-bits such as the #301 from Carbide 3D — if one wishes to do V-carving or cut joints which use this angle
  • a 1/8" precision collet is included with the machine, if doing small scale work the following endmills might be appropriate
    • five 2-flute 1/8" straight endmills (such as the #102 endmills from Carbide 3D
    • two 2-flute 1/8" ball end endmills (such as the #101 .125" Ball Cutters from Carbide 3D)
    • two smaller straight endmills (say 2 mm or so) (such as the #112 0.0625" endmills from Carbide 3D)
  • Additions:
    • V-carving bits (say 30 and 60 degrees) — these are excellent if doing text
  • you should already have ​a place to set the machine up (the Shapeoko is more suited for use in a shop environment) — note that you’ll want to have access to the front and back of the machine so that you can feed material in from end and out the other if working with oversized material (you can process an entire 4x8 sheet by cutting it into thirds and feeding it incrementally into an XL or XXL — an SO3 would require 1/6ths). See: Torsion Box for Shapeoko XXL and Instructions — of course a Shapeoko 5 Pro 4x2 or 4x4 allows cutting full sheets without cutting
  • dust collection suited to the material which you are cutting (at least a shop vacuum — many of our customers rig up dust shoes and formal dust collection) — you’ll want to tie into existing dust collection if you have it — Carbide 3D includes https://shop.carbide3d.com/products/sweepy-dustboot which will fit many smaller shop vac / dust extractor hoses
  • ​workholding (some way to hold the material in place — the Shapeoko 5 Pro includes the Hybrid T-track as well as a basic set of clamps but many folks work up their own — we have a pair of tutorials: http://carbide3d.com/docs/tutorials/shapeoko-clamps/
  • calipers
  • pendant option of some sort
  • good quality square for assembly or positioning parts
  • tools to break stock down
    — just a handsaw will allow one to purchase long boards, break them down in the lumber yard parking lot, and carry them home even in a small car
  • tools to post-process stock (files, deburring tools, &c.)

​and of course, material and designs to cut. It is recommended that folks start by drawing up a design (follow along in one of our tutorials: Your First Five CNC Projects and watch our videos: Getting Started with Carbide Create and read through: http://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/carbidecreate/userguide/ ) and working up toolpaths all the way through 3D simulation — if that effort seems workable to you, you should be in a good place to get a machine.

For holding down materials we offer a couple of products, including consumable options:

1 Like

@Kathy - If you’ve got the budget, add the VFD Spindle and delete the router. Although listening to a screaming router is nice (NOT!) the pleasant siren song of the VFD is irresistible!

2 Likes

Is the Spindle that loud and is it that much better then a trim router? And I just checked, the Spindle is sold out right now.

X2 on yhe spindle. Got it on my pro 5 and its amazing, honestly i dont see how you would ever need bigger but im a noob lol. I got IDC bits and Jennys and some from carbide, they all work great.
I did a few different types of work holding as well carbide and amazon and they both do well. Ill give the leg to carbide because you can hit them without much damage lol, ask me how i know!
My only issue so far is i wish the machine would resume work on power loss, I think you need closed loop motors for that? I did figure a shortcut on it tho lol, so not end of the world. And for future cuts i keep a eye on the line/code numbers every 10 mins or so. I got create pro as my software and enjoy it. But 100% you wont be disappointed! Mine has worked flawlessly right out of the box.

Kathy - No, the spindle is quiet, at least when compared to the trim routers. The trim routers are great, but the spindle is such a nicely engineered product and will probably last a lifetime, at least for most users.
Get the compact router now, but if you can, order a spindle when available.

2 Likes

Also have to consider a table, dust collection. I also added a dedicated computer. Extra costs add up quick

1 Like

I will note that my first couple of machines and their setups were done on the cheap (albeit they were quite a bit smaller than an SO5 Pro).

Howdy again, Thank you for all your help. And AGAIN, THANK YOU ALL for your help. It has been a major plus. I hope that I haven’t worn out my welcome with too many questions. I would love to get advice on more things after I get the CNC.
So my update is this: I bought it. It will be shipped in 2 or more boxes on May 26th. Taxes came back and we barely had enough but we did it. I had a great and patient woman helping me throughout the whole process, helping me pick out the right bits, and so on. I can’t remember her name right off but I do know that she is familiar with some of you on here, she said good things just so you know. I might have missed something, I am not sure. Feel free to comment and let me know. This is what I bought:

• Shapeoko 5 Pro 4x4
  • VFD Spindle Kit
  • BitZero V2
  • Super Hold (glue type solution)
  • Deep Sweep for Sweepy 2.0 Dust Boot
  • Get a Grip Workholding Kit
  • Amana AMS-115-K: 2-PC CNC Signmaking
  • Amana AMS-114-K: 3-PC CNC Signmaking and Engraving Pack
  • Machinable Fixturing Wax Strong-Blue
  • Shapeoko Endmill Starter Pack (x2 for just in case)
    Am I missing anything that you can think of?

I don’t plan on doing any cutting with plastic right now. I wouldn’t even know what to do with that so I didn’t get any bits specifically for plastic. I love the idea of making 3D signs among other things. I have had an idea relating to dogs specifically but also having functionality too. Yes, I have dogs and cats. Easier to see what is needed/wanted for pets when we have pets. Easy, convenient, practical, and ascetically pleasing is what people want usually.
I am not used to going on social media much but that is something I need to change. Baby steps. Anyways, we are preparing, building, and getting things setup for the CNC when it comes. I hope you all are doing well.
I look forward to your responses.

4 Likes

Looks like you will be all set to go with your purchases. Just one thing you need to be aware of, the Get a Grip Workholding Kit doesn’t fit the SO5Pro. But other than that you are definitely set to do some awesome cuts!

You will still have some more questions once you get started and as you have seen there’s a lot of people who enjoy helping out.

1 Like

if it doesn’t fit the 5 pro then I should probably call them to cancel that item

You have two options. Cancel it and get a refund (that’s what I did after ordering it) or you can make new holes in the L bracket to make it work (which can be done very easily with your new machine).

new holes are easier truthfully. Thx

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.