I'm Stumped regarding Carbide Create input and actual result

Making a street sign for our neighborhood using high-density urethane material.
Machine is Shapeoko Pro
Carbide Create Pro Build 743
Carbide Motion Build 578
Font Used: Century Schoolbook

This image shows the program for the letter “O” in Carbide Create:

This image shows the letter as carved by Carbide Motion:

This image shows a larger section of the actual sign containing other letter O’s which were carved correctly:

When it happened the first time, I thought the machine had slipped a notch on the X or Y belt(s) or some such problem. Checked the machine and all seemed tight and well. Sent the router to original XY Zero point and everything lined up correctly. Ran the project a second time to create the carving for the reverse side of the sign and encountered the exact some problem. The second running of the program was a mirror image of the first side but contained the same problem with the same location of the same letter.

I don’t think it is a machine issue but would guess the problem must be in the G-Code somewhere. My problem is that I am now trying to operate well above my pay grade!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom

Please post the .c2d file, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and how you are managing all tool changes.

Posting screen grabs showing what you are seeing on screen and expecting vs. what actually cut will help as well.

was this by chance the last bit that got cut? it could be you had some missed steps (X movement not accounted for)

2 Likes

Looking at the R and T of court, something is loose, and I bet the center of the O was cut after the RT error.

2 Likes

Fenrus and FlatBaller

The inside of the “o” was the last item cut on the sign. The r and t of court were the very first two letters cut in the entire sign. It would seem to me that it something was loose, the machine would not return to the original X Y zero point after the project was run. Also, would it not seem strange that I would run the project a total of three times with the exact same result if the issue was something loose or the material moving. I would feel the same regarding “some missed steps (X movement not accounted for).” Taking all of that into account, I keep coming back to something missing the the coding itself. I will be sending the .c2d file requested to WillAdams when I return home this afternoon,

Thank you for you help!

Tom

if you don’t trust it… there is always the “camotics” open source tool that will simulate gcode (you do need to program in the tools you are using)… that is what is sent to the machine basically…
… and is a good way to do the “was it on the digital/design side” or “was it mechanical”

or for not-compex 2D-ish designs… “ncviewer” is also great, and can just run in a browser

3 Likes

WillAdams,
James Booth Court - Left.c2d (1.3 MB)

The file above is the 2d file for the sign in question.

The work is secured with four of the green hold clamps that came with the machine. The material is High-Density Urethane which cuts like butter and offers very little resistance to the movement of the bit through the material. Zero was set to the center of the work and was checked after the running of the project and the zero alignment was right on the mark which I believe rules out the movement of the work or jumping a cog in one of the belts. Tool changes were made when required when moving from one tool-path to another as the machine worked through the carving of the sign. The machine would stop and request the necessary bit change as necessary. I believe the pictures in the original post shows what was called for in Carbide Create an what the result was. My major concern was the problem with the “o” in Court but as noted in other’s responses, there is also an issue with the “r” and “t” in the same word which may be related to the same problem.

The sign shown here and a mirror image made from a copy of the same file resulted in three signs with the exact same issues as covered here.

Again, thanks to all who have replied to my issue.

Tom

The file, as provided is:

and the preview of the G-code is:

which matches, so the problem would seem to be electro-mechanical.

Per the machine operating checklist: Machine operating checklist , the basic points of adjustment for a machine are:

• Pulley set screws — verify that these are in-place and secure — for further details on checking them on a Shapeoko 3 see: http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/shapeoko-3-how-to-check-the-pulley-set-screws/ — be sure to check all axes/pulleys (including Z on machines w/ belt-drive Z-axis, for an HDZ, check both coupler screws).
  • (for the SO3/4, X- and Y-axes) V wheels / eccentric nuts: Tightening Eccentric Nuts - Carbide 3D
  • (for the Pro, and SO4 Z-axis) Lubrication of the linear rails: Getting Started with Carbide Machines
  • (for HDZs, and HDMs, and SO5 Pros) check that couplers between the motor and ball screw are secure, for the SO5 check that the DAC which transfers the rotary motion of the ball screw to linear machine motion is secure on the carriage/gantry
  • Belt tension (see the relevant step in your instruction manual, e.g., Getting Started with Carbide Machines) Note that the X-axis motor is held in place on standoffs and if those bolts are loose this can cause belt tension issues. Also, belt tension for the Y-axis stepper motors needs to be even/equivalent on each side — a significant difference can cause skipping on one side eventually resulting in lost steps on both. Measuring belt tension, squaring and calibration

A good video overview on setup:

Ensure that all screws are in place and secure, esp. on the linear rails on a Pro.

Also verify that all wiring is in good condition and all connectors are secure, and that all wiring leading into connectors are properly in place.

something doesn’t jive. The photo shows cutting out the letters and your program shows letters cut as island. Am I missing something?

1 Like

godtar d

I am not sure I understand your concern. However, the top picture reflects all of the tool-paths necessary to complete the sign while the third picture shows the sign in progress after the outer contour of the letters has been carved but before the pocket operation around the letters has been performed or the final texture tool-path. It while carving the contour of the letters when the error happens and I believe that the pocket and the texture tool-paths repeat the error in carving for the letters o, r, and t.

Thank you for your interest, if this response does not cover your question, please come back for more.

Tom

Will Adams

Thank you for your effort and detailed input. Is it possible that there was some form of hick-up internal to Carbide Create which resulted in the error which produced the repetitive nature of this issue? If so, perhaps starting from scratch with a clean slate might product different results. I just have a problem thinking that an electro-machanical problem would repeat itself in the exact same point on three different carving of the same program. Especially when the location of the problem moves about 22" when carving the mirror or reverse side of the sign while using the exact same zero for X, Y and Z.

I have checked the machine, to the best of my ability, for any loose hardware or belts. The moving parts of the machine move without binding when there is no power the the machine. I have cleaned and lubricated the rails. With power to the machine I have tried to move the various moving parts of the machine and notice no sign of movement indicating a loose pulley similar problem.

I think the next thing for me to do is to repair this sign to the best of my ability by carving just the letter “o” and gluing it in place on this sign. I will then reprogram a sign from scratch with the word Court repeated many times to see what results.

Thanks to all for your help which has been very much appreciated. I am still operating above my pay grade, but with all of your help I feel a lot better about it!

Tom

There shouldn’t be.

Sometimes mechanical issues can be quite repetitive — the machines are designed for repetition after all — but we can’t advise on things we don’t make, so all we can do is verify our software.

WillAdams
Another chapter in the ongoing saga…
This afternoon while trying to run the last tool-paths on the sign, while cutting the St. Name Pocket, I encountered a “ GRBL Not Found On Device”. message. Could this be related to my problem?

Also, has anyone documented a detailed step by procedure on how to restart start a tool-path a a known current line number position? What I was able to locate on line seemed to assume a high level of computer expertise. Thank you.

Tom P

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.