Inlay quick answer maybe

So I’m trying my first inlay and decided on a quick design to see if I have the idea. First setup female as advanced v carve, cut well. Then the female part I mirrored horizontal, put a square around it, grouped vectors, and then advanced v carved (turned out looking well on both).

Then I go to put puzzle together and it fits but doesn’t go in deep enough. I did both cuts at .25 and I think that’s my issue. What should I be doing so it fits better?

What angle is the tool you are using? Does it come to a sharp tip, and is the nominal angle the same as what is actually cut by the tool?

What gap did you set in the inlay mode?

I used the 60 vee bit that came with shapeoko, does come to a point.

I did not include a gap, and I did not use inlay mode. Guess that’s what I get for thinking I figured it out on my own. Didn’t realize there was an inlay, just ran with a v carve for the female and then boxed the design and mirrored so it’ll cut a pocket and make a male. I’m assuming that’s my issue and you will send me the link to the tutorial :rofl:. I also must say I’m beginning to like that you immediately reply and tell me to watch the damn video instead of trying to figure it out myself…thank you for that!

For more on inlay mode see:

1 Like

Sorry one more quick question and I am not on my machine I use - so I cannot check, but is this already in create 764 or would I need to do the beta downloads also for my version?

Yes it is. Just click inlay mode for the plug and select a glue gap height. I typically stick to .01"

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.