Integrating Live Edge Wood Slab with End Profiles

I’ve been buying live edge walnut slabs and have come up with my method of adding geometry/profiles to the end of the boards that blend with the live edge.

Here are examples of finished products.

I’m now working on a live edge cribbage board and thought I’d share my procedure as someone asked in another thread.

I start by taking a picture of the live edge slab with a ruler in order to calibrate the dimensions once imported into Fusion 360 and I also use photo editing software to correct any keystone effect in the picture since I know the ruler is rectangular however this is more or less a non issue if you setup for the picture having the camera parallel to the wood stock. I also draw a line through the stock (end to end) and make a make in the center where I will later zero with once ready to machine on the CNC.

Once I import the image into Fusion 360 and I’ve calibrated the dimensions (end to end length of the line I drew down the center) I trace out the lower and upper surfaces on the wood slab and offset these planes by the thickness of the slab.

In Fusion 360 I then make use of the loft tool in order to generate a 3D model/object that closely resembles the actual wood stock.

I then add the geometry for the lower and upper plane/profiles I want to cut at the ends of the board and use the loft tool once again. Actually for this case I could have also added the end geometry in the previous step and only use the loft tool once.

As for machining I restrict the toolpaths to the ends where I added the desired geometry and the edges usually match fairly well however a little sanding to round that edges where the machined and live edge meet blends them nicely.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.