What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

A miniature workholding setup for miniature tools:

24 Likes

Large format 32" x 8" serving tray made from a live edge walnut slab. Took picture and imported into Fusion 360 to trace live edge profile.

Experimented with conical toolpath, full depth of 12mm with 1.25mm stepover and worked surprisingly well.

Sanded and oiled

22 Likes

Now you’ve got a “bent wood” serving tray! :smiley: +1

Ok, where is that tree limb that fell off the tree in the last storm? I put it somewhere …

2 Likes

Woodworking on the kitchen counter :+1:

3 Likes

How did you make the slanted sides? It looks like a V? And did you round over the top edges manually with a sander or with a bit in the CNC?

Or does the canonical toolpath take care of it all?

I’ve added information how I integrate Live Edge Wood Slab with End Profiles here

Edit: @CullenS as for your question the edges are all machined but I had to also do 2 sided milling. The extra material around the project I drill holes through the stock matching the diameter of wooden dowel pins and machine the matching holes into my spoilboard to align the stock on the flip.

1 Like

I made this Gee Bee a few months ago as my first real project on the Shapoko 5.
It is about 2.5 feet wide.
The material is some MDF that was protecting a cabinet during shipping. I don’t think i will ever add any finish to it as it matches the paint OK and it is fun to tell the story of making things from trash.

25 Likes

That is really cool!
Would I be out of line to ask for the CC file? At least the graphic you used for the project.

Original Nintendo.

I found some basic measurements, but had to guess at the various depths. I’m not a fan of painting over wood, but it worked out for this type of project and it was fun to make for someone as a nostalgic request.

27 Likes

Slick looking project. Nice job

1 Like

Outstanding work!

You got the colors exactly.

1 Like

That looks amazing!! Do you mind sharing how did you achieved that cube texture please? Thanks!

Not sure how Patrick did it, but I have these…

cube_texture.stl (1.5 MB)

1 Like

I see @Tod1d already shared a cube wall asset but I’ll add mine as well. I created it in Fusion 360 and trimmed it square however your can tile it next to itself to cover a larger surface area or scale it.

Cubic Wall Tile.stl (105.2 KB)

1 Like

I cut this 11 1/8" x 18" sign out of Radiata Pine and gave it three coats of butcher block conditioner to get it shiny.

13 Likes

That is super clean text for pine. What bit/toolpath are you using?

1 Like

Thanks!

That’s a VCarve Toolpath at a depth of 0.1" with the #302 V-Bit carving the Constantia font.

2 Likes

It must be the fonts I’m using, because every time I try to use the 302, I get material left in the center of the text. I really like that font, so maybe I’ll give it a try again.

What depth are you allowing the V carving to cut to?

What is the stock thickness? It’s best to use stock thickness for max depth unless there is a reason to use a different depth.

Does it match the 3D preview?

What height is your text?