Introducing HDZ 4.0

Like Julien says, some sort of deflector or dust hood comes first.

However, the linear rails and ballnut both have seals & wipers on the ends which assist in clearing surface dust and chips. How long these can keep the ballscrew and rails clean and working is a different question however.

Sawdust is pretty easy to push out of the way, larger machines and those cutting metals and other abrasive materials generally use a set of bellows or other shields to keep the crud off the linear rails.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick replies.

There might even be 2 M5 x 6mm screw holes on the base to build your own deflector…

5 Likes

Ha! where were you when I designed a montrosity of a custom 3D-printed dust shoe frame just to circumvent the absence of a good anchor point on the bottom of my HDZ? :sweat_smile:

Very useful detail ! HDZ 4.0 owners will put them to good use I’m sure :+1:

4 Likes

Deflectors.zip (11.1 KB)

For anyone who wants to make one

8 Likes

@Luke

You mention the inclusion of M5 Screws, are these on the bottom of the plate that holds the bearing for the ball screw? Trying to picture in my head how I could use this for a dust boot.

Screw holes.

These are not load bearing and I don’t recommend fitting anything to them but a small, light deflector.

2 Likes

Cue a demonstration of the difference between “recommended” and “what people really do with their Shapeoko” :wink:

4 Likes

So I’m guessing that if they’re in the lower bearing plate anything too large attached is likely to deflect the bearing plate and cause an unhappy ball screw and unhappy owner then?

2 Likes

The HDZ 4.0 looks like a well engineered piece of kit, well done to all involved.

Just a thought (from someone still using the stock, belt driven, z). What happens when the operator of the HDZ is using the Bit Zero and forgets to fit the alligator clip? Obviously with the belt z, the belt slips. What does the ball screw do? I assume that a small diameter bit will snap, but would it try to drive a 1/4" bit into the Bit Zero, or damage the ball screw?

Been there, done that : indeed a small bit will probably break, and when doing that mistake with a 1/4" endmill, beyond the fact that it is really unpleasant during the few seconds it takes to hit the emergency switch, nothing really bad happens: the bitzero and HDZ are sturdy, so the stepper motor gives up first and “just” looses Z steps and clicks. Very unpleasant feeling. It just left my probe with a tiny scratch (the tip of my #201 did not look chipped, but of course it’s not a good thing to do to an endmill). The ballscrew just laughed.

2 Likes

Pretty much sums it up. Usually it damages the next weekest part, you might snap a V wheel or the motor will skip.

2 Likes

The v wheels give in first

3 Likes

Ha, feels like this is where we all admit our mistakes. When I did it, it scratched the top of my probe a little bit during the time it took me to dive towards the switch. It started to slide the probe off the part, causing the scratch.

3 Likes

Yeah,

On the XXL you get to watch the bed deflect by a good 1cm (1/2 inch) if you’re in the middle whilst you remember the big red “STOP!!” switch.

Of course, now that I’ve reinforced the bed I will see one of the above results next time I make that mistake.

The HDZ really is a well made bit of kit.

3 Likes

I can attest that the XL baseboard bends the knee to the HDZ in such a scenario.

3 Likes

So, the shop page,is still saying HDZ 3.3 and pointing to the 3.3 installation page. I’m not quite sure what I’m gonna get if I order something…

All orders are going to be filled with the HDZ 4.0 I think the installation instructions are there, as I’m not sure they’ve updated them yet.

Send an email to sales@carbide3d.com if you want to know what version HDZ is being shipped but as the name on this thread says it is a 4.0 HDZ. The HDZ has been out of stock for some time so the new ones they have built should be 4.0, but ask sales to be sure.

1 Like
  1. I was thinking, regarding the deflection in the wasteboard, of going to the local quarry and bashing the rocks together until i came up with an idea… like going inside, and buying a thick 1.5” slab of granite countertop, having them surface grind & polish it flat, & seeing what kind of tolerance they can hold across it. Build the machine on that slab, & then wipe on a couple microns of frekote sealer & mold release, and adhere the wasteboard to it, surface the wasteboard, & Bob’s your uncle. The whole works is squared to the granite surface, & the slab sits on vibration dampening rubber bumpers. …& maybe an air cushion.

2. All are 4.0’s. This was discussed previously. There have been no other models left to sell for quite some time.