Introducing the Shapeoko HDM

Hi @Luke

Got one more question(that possibly have been answered before?) ;

I saw the early prototype vid @wmoy posted on Instagram - that machine had a significantly larger work envelope than the final machine. Any plans to release a larger HDM?

Thanks

It’s something that we’re looking at. When we started this project we made a couple of different sizes - which is probably what you saw, I think it had a cutting area of around 1x1m.

We do have a few dependencies on making a larger unit - but one of the biggest is assembly and freight.

If we do make a larger unit we need to work out how we would get them to their destination safely.

It’s also worth noting that a larger unit would be more expensive. Whilst the modular axis are fundamentally the same but longer this makes them harder to assemble and harder to ship as they no longer fit on a standard pallet.

As it stands each HDM shipped it costs around $500 to actually get it to it’s destination. If we’re shipping double length pallets that alone could bump the price up.

7 Likes

Many thanks Luke, that was the answer I was hoping for.

Totally understandable that a larger machine would increase complexity and drive up both freight and unit cost, but I am sure you guys are able to maintain a competitive price level compared to the other “prosumer” cnc machines out there.

I will be waiting here, ready to swipe my card😊
Thanks

1 Like

Can you tell us about the vfd spindle control unit. Does it have mechanical inputs for start, stop, and speed control for those who prefer not to have Gcode set the rpm or is 100% software based?

1 Like

Out of the box it is 100% controlled by the software, start stop and speed. If you wanted to disable this and run it manually it would also be possible through the control panel on the VFD.

That said I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to use the automated function?

3 Likes

I suppose the ability to adjust speed on the fly?

1 Like

For me I like manual control over software when it comes to the most dangerous part of a cnc. I will try the stock configuration but I want the option to switch it so someone has to physically press a mechanical button to change things. .

1 Like

Please consider a 5x10 Shapeoko with a vac table. I can come pick mine up with a flatbed trailer.

1 Like

Most CNC controllers have a speed override, just like most have a feed override. You can use that to adjust the RPM on the fly.

Not sure if CM has it though.

1 Like

It doesn’t that I know of. That is a feature that would be awesome to add for the HDM in carbide Motion.

2 Likes

Does the HDM have enough torque and rigidity to max out the 1.5kw spindle? What kind of watts are you pulling at the spindle under heavy load? My gut says get the 2.2kw but it would require adding a new line into my panel.

1 Like

@wmoy will need to chip in here as I have not run the 1.5kw option.

You can max out anything if you push it hard enough but I’ve not done any damage yet.

Those are indeed pretty parts! How do we think this will this hold up against the Evo-One that I have been considering?

I recognize that spindle. It’s 500W, very underwhelming. I had it on my MPCNC and had so much more success with a Makita trim router, briefly, until I sold it and bought a SO.

I think that Evo-One is better compared to a Nomad then HDM.

1 Like

IMO the 110V option has plenty of power for the average user. If you want to truly “max out” the machine, you’d have to invest hundreds of dollars into things like heavy duty machine vises (workholding and stock strength will be your limiting factors), airblast or mist coolant (you can easily run a 1/4" cutter in aluminum so hard it clogs), or a wall mounted dust collector (anything but a big shop vac will struggle against the onslaught of sawdust you can make). If you need it, you need it. Those people will know who they are. But personally I’m going to be very happy with just the 110V.

The only real caveat I’d say is that the HDM will take up a large portion of your power budget if you’re on a single 15A circuit in your garage, so be careful throwing a big vacuum or compressor on the same line. So 220V would give you a lot more freedom for accessories. Or just run a second 110V line in the shop.

12 Likes

I think it would take out Evo-Ones mum and be leaving the next morning…

Honestly it’s not a fair comparison. The HDM is bigger, allot more powerful and most likely more accurate.

Here is a project that was done on one of our test units. Hogging a little aluminium.

15 Likes

That’s testing I can get behind.

Get it, because it’s a shield?

I’ll show myself out.

14 Likes

Nice, and the watercooled spindle is a great add… What is the footprint, and do you guys have a will call option for those of us in the LA area?.. once it’s available

1 Like

Wanting maximum cutting potential and possibly to upgrade to an ATC in the future was my initial reasoning for a 220v. My compressor is 110v which is what also pushed my thoughts toward the 2.2kw to reduce the load in the circuit but I didn’t look to see if there were multiple breakers that would let me split the load. I figured if I have to add a line it might as well be a 220v.

On a side note

Bellows would be perfect to seal up the 1" gantry slot on the Y axis. I am still pondering X protection as there is not enough room for bellows and full travel. I wonder if some form of a side draft air curtain would work where the suction is at the back and the exhaust is focused around to blow the chips to the back.

Any how thanks for the hard work gentlemen.

3 Likes

Hahaha! I love it.

That’s some crazy incredible work on the HDM! It really looks like it can hog out aluminum like crazy.

3 Likes