iOS and Android DRO Open Beta

See previous post for link to video of use: iOS and Android Carbide Motion DRO Pendant

Here are links to google and apple stores for the open beta. Apple requires you to download their TestFlight app if you want test on an iOS device.
Google: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Semaphore.CmPendant
Apple: https://testflight.apple.com/join/6R59AMoj

Requirements:
You need Carbide Motion 428 or greater (up to 413 as of 2/28/2020).
Your Android or Apple device must be on the same network as the computer running Carbide Motion.
Carbide Motion tries to listen on port 8080. The app won’t work if you have something else listening on port 8080. You need to make sure port 8080 isn’t blocked by your firewall.
If you want to browse and load a file using the app you need to run the FileNavigator service: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uCNOxuGXyXZGdvlbri_DvTEZUH1V6ED4
This service runs on Windows 10 and listens on port 5000. Doesn’t need to be on the same system as Carbide Motion. Port 5000 must not be in use on the system or be blocked by the firewall.
You can run without the file navigator and if you’ve already loaded a file in Carbide Motion you can run, pause, increase/decrease speed, etc.

I suggest running the following test with your emergency stop close at hand to confirm functionality.
The main screen asks for the IP address of the Carbide Motion machine and the File Navigator machine. These can be different machines. If you aren’t using the navigator use the same address as CM - it’ll look for the service, not find it and use a mock.
If you’ve already connected and homed the machine using CM you’ll automatically bypass those menus. If not then you’ll be prompted to connect and home.
Do the following:
Jog->Rapid->C (center) - you’ll see the DRO in the top left button change as the machine jogs to the center. You can try all nine positions.
Done->Set Zero->Zero All - you see the DRO change from current offset to (0,0,0)
Tap the DRO button - it’ll change to red and show absolute machine coords, tap again to go back to blue and relative coords.
Done->0.01 mm - DRO changes from millimeters to inches. Tap again to change back.
Incr ±> Incr + - changes the jog distance button (top right) to 1.0 mm
Play with the X, Y, and Z arrow buttons to see the DRO change accordingly. Holding your touch should job multiple times until released.
If you have a click Probe and try the various probe options.
Cancel out of Probe and hit Done to return to the main screen.
Tapping on Load File shows the mock navigator or allows browsing if you installed the FileNavigator.
If you’ve loaded a file to run you can click run - the app DOES NOT prompt for tool change but the machine pauses for tool change. Hit run again to continue.
Feedrate buttons with change the ‘ovr’ value on the status button (blue button middle row far left).

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

2 Likes

I can verify function on a Samsung S8 running Android 9 Pie.

A quick CM update that may be relevant:

We’re in the middle of migrating the current UI to native code from the current web interface so the current network interface will probably be removed at the same time or shortly after.

I suspect that you’re using the web/server interface for this project so it may stop working when CM 500 is released in the next week or two.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. I knew that an unpublished API wasn’t necessarily going to remain unchanged. I will push both apps into the public app stores barring someone finding an issue. Going through Google and Apple’s approval process has been an education.
The thing that really hurts is I love this format and workflow using the Streamdeck. I probably won’t update to the new CM barring some killer new feature that I think I have to have.

2 Likes

you could port your streamdeck code to use CNCjs instead, just saying.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea, I’ll look into it thanks!
Sometime in the next month I’ll get the code into github for interested people.

4 Likes

@robgrz I’ve been working on the same thing with Stream Deck and Python, again using the web server API. Can you list some of the features of the NEW CM 500? Mostly to determine if theres anything that is so ‘killer’ I should stop working on this. If you are porting everything to native code are you going to leave room for some sort of API ish access? Or maybe leave the network interface available and just add an API key for trusted people to develop? Or failing that can you map every button/field to a hotkey? I can live without DRO data, but the current lack of hotkeys for all of the buttons makes building key macros impossible, especially for MDI. I think this was brought up over and over in a lot of feature request topics.

@Julien I cant speak for davesem, but depending on what happens with Carbide Motion I might just take a swag at the CNCjs/BCNC crowd, it would be a lot easier than working through the Carbide API in a fault tolerant way. I know that I personally had to put a lot of work into getting js and bcnc running the first time. The user interface(UI) is a little cluttered, and theres also a lot of self support, to get probing working right, then the HDZ required me to modify things again, then the Bit Setter came out
 With carbide its just a checkbox, everything works and is tested.

While I do appreciate the features and bonuses of CNCjs and BCNC it’s just never been worth the hassle to switch back over. I simulate my tool paths in Fusion, air cut if I’m really iffy about a path, and then send it. A lot of the DRO features, and live pathing isn’t as critical as say the HASS we have at work. However this is making a strong argument for switching back, and its been 1+ years since I’ve used anything but Carbide 3D so I don’t know. @Julien Shoot me a message if you’ve seen any Stream Deck stuff for CNCjs or BCNC on here and I’ll take a look in the meantime.

1 Like

Once we get it tested and stable, I think you’ll see a lot more hotkeys and an expanded MDI mode.

For the first release, everything should just be a little more fluid and less quirky. The web interface worked OK but it was going to require a lot of work to fix all of the quirks and hiccups so it was easier to just move to native where we get all the benefits of C++ tooling and we don’t need to cross the JS boundary ( or QML in the case of V3).

I expect the pace of CM releases to pick up a lot this year.

That’s possible but we need to take some time to step back and make sure we know how it would interact with the new user interface. At some point, we might have to start a private thread for people who’ve actually used the hidden API (probably a very short list) to discuss this in more detail.

5 Likes

@robgrz so it sounds like the the killer features are going to be the things I’m looking for any way. And yes there were definitely some quirks I found while dissecting the Hidden API, so that choice makes a lot of sense. If you do start a thread count me in! Looking forward to the update guys!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.