Is ShapeOKO 4's Y2 motor firmware-inverted?

Hi,
I am looking to see if the inversion of Y2 motor on my ShapeOKO4 controlled by the carbide 3D PCB’s firmware. I am working on a project to add 4-axis to my ShapeOKO4 and would like to know if I should config my firmware to rotate Y2 inverted, or I need to config the firmware to run both Y motors the same direction, and let the physical wiring does the inversion of direction.

Original (closed) post was here: Lathe and Chip former

cc @AndyC I know your machine is different, but would like to have your valuable input, too. Thanks.

A little bit of project update: I was able to config Marlin to add A-axis support (“I-axis” internal to marlin), and drive 5 motors. On the firmware side need to see if marlin can translate G code A-axis into moving the motor. On the hardware side will need to harness the shapeoko motors to the board.

My understanding is the reversal is done on the board, but one could undo it by rewiring the connector/motor.

Thanks. To confirm, both Y1 and Y2 motors are wired the same from motor to the molex connector to board?

If this is the case, then my plan is to have the same motor-to-connector wiring, and let Marlin firmware does the inversion for Y2. Marlin has a macro that, once defined, will invert the Y2 motor.

@samsongli I would agree. I would make the inversion in firmware so there is never any confusion over the physical side of things. Think not only what you know, but were you to say sell the machine, it is more logical to the next owner if the wiring is consistent colour to colour, pin to pin.

One thing to think about… If you align the rotary axis along X as I have, you become reliant upon the Y motors holding the gantry solid during rotary cutting. Many stepper driver ICs ‘back off’ the current if the motor is not currently active, I think to about half. I set my stepper drivers not to back off as much (I can’t set this off), and also set GRBL $1 to 255 (step idle delay in mS) which tells it to disable its internal de-energise logic.

There is also a whole new thinking exercise on feeds and speeds to ponder. Surface speed varies as the diameter of the rotary workpiece changes… Some CAM modules (Fusion360, I think SolidCAM) compensate for this, but the majority don’t. I work it out at maximal diameter, then increase the feed rate manually during the cut ‘by feel’ as I haven’t got the F360 module that does rotary and I don’t believe Vectrics software makes this compensation.

2 Likes

Thanks @AndyC . I saw somewhere inside Marlin config it can keep the motors in place by not reducing the current, need to figure out what those mean. The surface speed points are important, too.

turned out Marlin speaks a slightly different G-code dialect, I am going to switch to a tinybee board anyways, so I might try FluidNC on the tinybee.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.