Is there a new Zeroing procedure for this Version 6?

Also, I don’t want to set zero with the first tool because the reading won’t be as accurate, especially if the first tool is a Vee bit

You have to allow the system to measure the tool, and it has to be done using the prompts.

Since you have a BitSetter, it should work to use a probing pin, then change to the #102 when prompted and allow the system to measure that tool when it’s loaded after being requested.

So do I click yes or no when that prompt comes up? When I click no is when it lets me Jog over to the bitzero. Then it does that process as normal. i click Run job and chose the job then it tells me to insert my endmill. Then it goes to the Bitsetter and starts as normal but plummets. So either way clicking Yes or No neither work

The problem seems to be that you are losing Z-axis height when you measure the tool — presumably on the rapid up — please capture this on a video and send it in to support@carbide3d.com along w/ photos of your Z-axis motor wiring, including the wiring extension connectors, including at the controller.

So is this a version 6 issue? Because the older version on my other laptop works fine. None of these issues happened until I got this new laptop with the update

I suspect it’s caused by the faster rapids in Carbide Motion, see:

perhaps reduce the acceleration and so forth to the old defaults.

Ok so I just used my old laptop with the older version and its doing the same thing now. I have no idea how this just randomly decides to happen when everything has been working perfectly.

To be honest, I am not sure what any of these parameters mean.

Okay, it would seem to not be the software parameters — rather an electro-mechanical issue which coincidentally arose at the same time as the software change. Please send the video and photos to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll send you replacement wiring which will fix this.

I do not have the capabilities to send that long of a video through my phone to my email unfortunately. I can send my step by step procedure and some photos, I hope that is enough.

I will also add that while setting up this software change and configuring the Bitsetter, twice my Z pushed the probing bit into my MDF and made a loud stuttering sound as it continued to push down. Could that have ruined my Z axis?

No. While it’s an awful sound that makes everybody cringe, it’s “just” the sound of the stepper motor losing steps at it encounters too much resistance. The Z axis itself should be fine. On Shapeoko models with v-wheels, such a crash may potentially damage or loosen the top or bottom v-wheels of the X/Z carriage though, so it’s worth double-checking them afterwards.

1 Like

Did you set the Z axis and resend the configuration after switching versions of Carbide Motion?

If you have been using the old version of Motion with success, you can ignore the new prompt you mention in the original post, and just say “no” or close the dialog.

2 Likes

I will note that I have had a couple of crashes where the machine would run backwards for some number of attempts to initialize — a bit of patience in starting up managed to work through it.

1 Like

I did not, could you remind me how to do that?

This is from memory - but you go to settings, choose your machine type and the z-axis type, then find a button that basically means “send configuration”.

Oh yeah, that’s already done. I have it set for the correct Z axis

Set, and sent. Both operations?

1 Like

I’ll do it again but yeah I’m almost positive I did all that because that was one of my previous Z issues I’ve had before

1 Like

As I’ve noted. I’m pretty sure you have a wiring issue (caused by a bad batch of wiring) — please write in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get this sorted out.

Sorry, I just an idiot… I thought my Z axis was HDZ so I had it set for that. So I just fixed it it’s running as normal. I appreciate all your time given!

2 Likes