Is there a way to recover toolpaths from .nc file?

Hello all,
I generated a gcode file from several tool paths with CC520 to run on a test board. Deciding I needed to make a few tweaks I figured I’d save what I had and make my tool path adjustments but instead of hitting CRTL+S I hit CRTL+Z and lost the group of tool paths. Is there anyway to undo a undo or recreate tool paths from gcode?

I’m afraid that neither is an option in Carbide Create.

Might be able to open up the G-Code w/ a text editor and use it to determine the settings to reapply.

Thank you Will, I was afraid of that. I just ran the nc with CAMotics and I think I have a good idea of what I had.

The answer is maybe. If you saved the original CC file. If you did not save the file after deleting the information the original file is still intact. Open the file and see if anything is left. Sometimes I do the same thing after I get a file saved and tool paths saved. I go in and change something but my fat fingers get in the way. I just close CC without saving and reopen and start over. If you did not have the original file saved there is no hope but what ever you did have saved will still be there. Just remember in the future if you save early and save often you always have a back up of what you were doing.

1 Like

As @gdon_2003 says…

I’m a little paranoid about cocking things up, so I save each .c3d and .nc iteration with a version number, and archive the old ones.

This might be overkill, but it works for me.

2 Likes

You know me so well! :rofl:

1 Like

Hmm, looks like someone’s learnt how to import gifs! :rofl:

1 Like

What you’re asking for is REDO…something that most software that offers UNDO will also provide. CC is unlike most other software packages when it comes to standard conventions. Not a problem in free software…but if they were charging for it, there would be a lot of pressure to make it behave like most other software. Like it or not, the Apple and Microsoft conventions (shortcuts, editing functions, etc.) have become requirements for professional software.

3 Likes

In addition to your good practice - if you have it set up, you can save your work to a folder that’s on OneDrive and it will keep the last few versions for you automatically.

You can right click on it and view the version history and revert to an older version. There aren’t many revisions but it can protect against an erroneous save.

It also means it’s available on other computers, if you have other computers.

2 Likes

Peter:

If you do nothing else with computers learn how to save your data. Your process of saving often with different suffixes to the file names is good practice. I wince when I hear people tell me they never backup. Computer hardware fails. Or users make mistakes. If your work has value have a backup plan / procedure and implement it.

I am a retired computer tech. Old enough that my first personal computer was a Commodore VIC-20. Backups were done to a cassette tape drive :slight_smile:

Bill

1 Like

I used to go to people’s houses and fix Apple Computers. When we replaced a hard drive we restored an OS image. Then the folks would say how about my data?..I would say restore your backup and I would get a blank stare. The worst was a guy who had his doctorate thiesis on his computer with no backup, not even printed copies.

I make 2 backups on two separate drives. Only recently did I get broadband and I need to pay for online backup for 3 copies.

Backup early and often. I was in IT for years and you would be surprised how many enterprise customers backup but never tested restore until it is critical to be back up and running to find out the restore does not work.

2 Likes

Thanks @Gerry, I’m not sure if I was even aware of that with iCloud, but I use a NAS to store all my documents, and this is backed up daily to my Google drive. I don’t really use iCloud.

One of my main reasons of moving to a Mac from a PC was the backup system. I never really succeeded in restoring any data from my PC (I was prone to changing hardware, so maybe that was it) so changed it for an all-in-one iMac and Time Capsule, and I’ve not had a problem since scrambles around to find some wood!)

Ha! My first foray into computers was a borrowed ZX81, but remember queueing outside WH Smiths for a ZX Spectrum. I remember spending hours typing in code from a magazine, only for it to fail. What fun!

I don’t think iCloud supports versioning. My reference was to OneDrive (the Microsoft cloud storage thing which also works on macs).

1 Like

I did have one problem with Apple’s Time Capsule early on. There was a known issue where, for some reason, Time Capsule would lock the backup file, rendering it unreadable and, therefore, un-restorable, and this happened to me twice, before we got to the bottom of it (Apple aren’t known for admitting to their mistakes and trying to blame the software - but this seems consistent with all hardware and software providers!) They replaced the Time Capsule for me and I was allowed to keep the original, so when we found out what to do, the data was still there :+1:

Whoops, my bad. I do use OneDrive for other things, but didn’t know about the versioning thing. That’s really helpful, thank you.

1 Like

Of course all of this advice to save often is appropriate…but I think @Ed.E was actually in the process of TRYING to save…when he pressed CTRL-Z instead of CTRL-S.

The REDO feature is what is needed…it sounds like Ed had fairly appropriate save-practices. I think.

1 Like

While I’m new to all this, just got my xxl in January this is what I do with respect to saving.
I save each tool as I create them as well as the design itself. Once I have all those done I create a folder and move all the files to that just because I hate clutter.

Since I’m really old school I do what I had to do in the Marines, I have a notebook and write down all the parameters down for each toolpath as a back-up also. I’m pre-computer so we had no choice about using notebooks. Just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone would find it helpful.

2 Likes

Well I did try to save my work and I do save often, I just fat fingered and was hoping for another recovery method. I did manage to recreate my work after a bit of head scratching and was able to get back on track with my project. Thanks all for the input!

3 Likes

Ditto. I am with you.
Don’t want to start a war, but I have seen that happen twice with doctorate materials. One person drove to Portland to see if the Mac tech could recover the data and the other person flew to San Francisco to get her Mac repaired. False sense of security with the notion that the Macs can’t fail?

I started with CP/M and went through many versions of hardware and software. Maybe early memory and drive failures make me paranoid about loosing data. Incremental backups with hardware redundancy is just a painless habit now. I have recovery software, but I have only used it on drives that were used by careless friends over the years.