Issue with toolpaths

I’ve had my Shapeoko for about two weeks and figuring everything out through trial and error. I can’t for the life of me figure out the correct tool path to get this EGA to cut according to the plan (purchased the SVG). The main issue is the lettering at the top being cut like a pocket and not single line engraved.

When I run the gcode provided with the purchase it works fine, but have issues with stats and strips with purchased g code.

I’d prefer to just set my own toolpaths but haven’t been getting great results.

Colored photo is my results, black and white is what it should look like.

Here is what it should look like:

Here is what my results have been. I’ve been using an advanced vcarve toolpath in Carbide Create.

Post your file. That would be helpful.

1 Like

Wrote up a bit about this at:

If you continue to have difficulties, please post the file and we’ll do our best to puzzle this out w/ you.

Here is the svg file with the toolpaths I have used.
USMC Flag Final.c2d (853.8 KB)

What difficulties are you having w/ that file?

The only issue I’m having is the “Semper Fidelis” at the top of the EGA. When I run it with an advanced v-carve it pockets out the scroll around the letters and leaves raised letters. Instead of outlining the scroll and engraving the letters.

Here is the supplied gcode results, which is what I’m trying to get. There just a slight difference in the way the vcarve is set up. I can’t figure it out.

Take the text out of the large Advanced V-carve group and make it a separate operation. This should get you what you want.

1 Like

It looks like this SVG was designed to use an advanced v-carve OUTSIDE of the vectors.
You can come close using a contour, outside/right with a 1/32" tool.
I think to do what you want there should be another vector surrounding the EGA, maybe 0.030 offset, 0.125 offset around the globe. Then an advanced V-carve should give you what you want.

USMC Flag Final Tod.c2d (1.2 MB)

2 Likes

Thank you very much! This may not be exactly what I’m getting from the provided gcode but it’s darn close. Thanks again!

No worries. Being a jarhead from a long line of jarheads (Great Uncle, Dad, Brother, Me, my Son) there’s a good chance I will use it as well. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.