Issues with Inlays in Vcarve Pro

Here’s the tool info i currently have in v-carve. I’m not sure if something in here might be affecting the outcome but i can’t seem to find info on tool settings anywhere else.

Included angle for that bit is 30 degrees. You have it at 15 degrees.

1 Like

Id suggest looking up the product page at amana tools or toolstoday and downloading the vcarve library.

Included angle, according to the amana website and part number, is 15 degrees. Unless i’m interpreting something wrong?

As noted, use nominal, not taper angle.

See

and

Nope. Looks good.

Next… Can you share the V-Carve file? And the resulting gcode.
You may need to zip the V-Carve file.

What you posted is what I was going by …

I see the confusion with what was linked. They post a “cutting angle string” of 30 degrees. Not sure what that means. But the part number at the amana website still states 15 degrees overall. I definitely learned something through this process…always double check the manufacturers website for actual info.

I think i did this right…
V-Carve 2-15deg.zip (1.5 KB) Square Calibration 1.zip (11.8 KB)

So i tested the exact same 1" square at .3 flat depth with a 60 degree v bit and it’s exactly 1" at Z-zero. My guess is that there is something off about my tool settings for the 15 degree bit.

Everything looks ok.
G-code should make a square that is one inch at Z-zero.

How are you establishing Z-zero?

setting the tip of the bit exactly on the surface of the material and setting Z zero at that point

Is the tip damaged? At 15 degrees it doesn’t take much to break off 0.1" of the bit and then when you set your zero with the bit touching the material, it will make the shape wrong.

(edit)
Also, you should verify that the tip is centered when installed in the collet. When you turn the bit by hand does the tip make a point or a circle?

2 Likes

What are the dimensions of the actual female pocket at the surface? They can’t be that far off of 1", right?

Even if the tip wasn’t damaged, according to the spec it’s flat at 0.005".

That’s pretty small, but because of the 15 degree angle, the “virtual tip” of the triangle is 0.0189" or 0.5mm in front of the flat tip… if my maths are right, which isn’t likely.

1 Like

:+1:

I don’t believe the tip is damaged but to that point, it doesn’t have an absolute tip at the end of the 15 degree angle. Given how shallow the 15 degree angle is, errors setting the Z zero correctly would be magnified larger that an error setting a 60 or 90 degree Z zero.
This could be the root of my whole problem. When i get a chance, I’ll try raising the Z zero to different heights and see what the outcome is.
As far as i know, the tip isn’t broken but if the physical tip of the bit (even brand new) isn’t the actual point of the 15 degree angle, that will affect the cut geometry.
As soon as i test a few settings, i’ll post results.

I made a basic spreadsheet you can enter your values to get an offset.

That wouldn’t get you 0.1" off on depth, though.

In Vcarve, there is a difference between a Vbit and an Engraving bit. You’ve bought an engraving bit and are entering it into the Vcarve tool database as a Vbit.

Engraving tools have a field for “Flat diameter” to account for that in the toolpath.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.