Issues with Z axis cutting too deep

I have been having issues with z axis cutting my projects too deep, it doesn’t do it on all files but does it on certain files and trying to find out what is wrong! When it cuts too deep it is burying the 45 degree v bit all the way into the wood!

is this with carbide create?

if so, you might want to check out the “advanced vcarve” in the current beta, where you can set the maximum depth

1 Like

This may be caused by a number of different things:

• a disconnect in how the origin is set in the file and how the zero is set relative to the stock, see: https://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/tutorial-homing/
  • setting the Z-axis safety/retract height in the CAM program (Job Setup | Machine | Retract Height in Carbide Create) to a value greater than is available above where the machine expects the top of the stock to be, resulting in the machine bottoming out against the top stock, thinking it is too high, then plunging down too far in an effort to travel down as far as that failed effort would allow. Setting the origin to the bottom of the stock/wasteboard surface, while setting the zero to the top of the stock may also cause this problem
  • a mechanical difficulty — check pulley set screws, Z-axis belt tension
  • an electronics issue — check the wiring and connectors

If you continue to have difficulties contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

Thanks I will try, this is in Carbide Create. I don’t believe it is the machine because today it did it on a carbide create program but then cut a different carbide create program with no issues!

https://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/beta/

you can get the beta there

there is an “advanced vcarve” in this new version, where you can set a max depth…

I’m very new - just got my xxl this week - but I had a similar issue tonight. I set a pocket tool path to a depth of 0.25. What I got was 0.5. I have a bitsetter installed too. After I ran the initialization on the xxl, loaded the gcode, set zero to the top of the board, CM prompted to change the bit, it then checked the depth on the bitsetter. I rechecked the zero depth at the top of the board and ran the code. - it was 0.5 inches deep, not 0.25.

I assume that it is operator error…

with bitsetter, you need to make sure that, between putting the bit in and zeroing, you do a bitsetter measurement. Easiest way to do that is to use the “change bit” button in carbide motion.

if you skip this step… you get more or less random depths.

So what are the steps exactly so I do have this problem?

@Scott219 did you set your zero to the TOP of the board in your design file? How thick did your stock happen to be?

It sounds like you performed the correct order of ops, but it seems there might be conflicting opinions. The order of operations should be: Place bit in --> Zero the bit on workpiece (so the machine knows where it is) --> Run bit setter (so the bit setter knows where the bit is), at least from how I use it and how @Julien describes it here

1 Like

the easiest way to make sure things are done right is to ALWAYS use the “change tool” button in carbide motion in order to change endmills. If you realize you forgot, just do change tool again.
Only AFTER that, zero to your work piece…

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will retry tonight.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.