Joining Vectors not Working

Here’s what I was working on. I don’t know that it will help.
feather

Are you trying to close the loop on the feather to make it one curve?

Where some of the feather touches the border is where I’m trying to close, so I can then take out the border. I’ve tried to join vectors on other files as well; also didn’t work.

Those curves are already closed, so you cannot join them without splitting the curve open. I suspect Will is preparing a post to show you how.

1 Like

I’m confused. I don’t understand splitting the curve open. I really appreciate the help

You will need to open up/delete the profile geometry and then draw in geometry to close the gaps along the border.

See:

To fix your file:

Go into Node Edit mode:

and right-click:

and choose “Cut Vector”:

Select the extraneous nodes:

and delete them:

Done

Repeat this for the other edges:

Done

Where there are still gaps:

Draw in geometry to close the gap:

Join Vectors

if need be repeat:

Attached as a v7 .c2d file:

feather_v7.c2d (60 KB)

2 Likes

Hi Randi,

Steps to Follow:

• Select the vector
  • Enter the Node Editor Tool
  • Go to the Nodes where the feather touches the outer border.
  • Right click and select “Cut Vector”
  • Do this at each and every point where the feather touches the frame.
  • Select the outer frame pieces that should now be disconnected from the feather.
  • Delete those pieces.
  • Select the Polyline tool
  • Zoom in and draw a polyline at each of the open section of the feather where you previously cut the frame away from your feather.
  • With all those lines drawn, select everything on the screen and click the “Join Vectors” button.
  • You may have to click it a couple of times to get everything to connect.
  • If you are not seeing that tool as an option when you select all the lines you’ve drawn and the feather, go back into the node editing tool and move the nodes of each line closer to the feather nodes.

By posting your file here you would allow us to download it and then post a quick video tutorial for your use and to help anyone else in the community who is having similar issues.

3 Likes

Thank you! I will go through all this, and obviously learn a lot of new things!
Great support; Wow!

1 Like

Here is a video going through the process:

https://vimeo.com/897046931

3 Likes

Keep at it. It’s all uphill from here!

Anytime!

Another way to do this, which might make a bit more sense — consider that one wants to work with like-to-like, so where one starts with closed (black) lines:

Draw in closed geometry to bridge each gap:

Select everything:

and use Trim Vectors:

to remove what is not wanted:

until one arrives at:

OK

OK

Join Vectors

Delete the surrounding geometry:

Then use Node Editing to adjust things:

Done

2 Likes

Welcome to downloading online images. Many images you download even svg files are not very good. As @WillAdams showed the zoom is your friend. You have to really zoom in to see the over laping and other defects. You can also use Edit Nodes and grab a group or individual node and use the “d” key to delete extra nodes. When you delete a node or group of nodes CC will draw a straight line from the adjacent nodes and connect them with a straight line.

You can bring bit map images into the free Inkscape and convert them into an svg. Usually you get a double line and you can just click on the parts of the svg you dont want and delete them. As you are finding you need clean images without strange extraneous lines or over laping lines. It takes patience to straighten out some images.

Your feather looks a lot like an inlay project on a youtube video from IDC.

Good Luck and welcome to the struggle. It is all good in the end.

3 Likes

It seems one is able to join the four open areas by:

1. Draw a small rectangle over each area (svg1 below).
  2. Select all, boolean (svg2 below).
  3. Delete the perimeter (svg3 below).
    Feather1
    feather 2
    feather 3

Yes, but that cuts away a bit of the design, and if one uses Boolean union, converts the design to poly lines.

I assumed there were drawbacks. I understand losing a small amount of the design, but I don’t understand the impact polylines will have.

Polylines are fine, so long as one doesn’t wish to do further editing with the design using Node Editing and having curves as curves.

Okay. Now I see. I have 10 zillion little tiny lines instead of curves. I have seen this before but did not know why they were sometimes there and sometimes not.
Thank you.

Hah! Looking forward to it!?

It is the same image as IDC. He provided the files, even the g code, but I wanted to work through it. He used another software, so I am trying to make his instructions work in CC.
Nodes were definitely confusing, but thanks to all the great input, I’m getting there!
Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.