Keyhole Router Bit

Does anyone have a recommendation for a keyhole router bit? Also a good tutorial on how to actually do them? Does anyone else ask as many questions as I do? Lol! TIA!
Brandi

I have had good luck with a keyhole bit from Lee Valley:

However, I’m sure there are many other places to get them.

To use the bit, mark where you want the entry to be with a circle. Size doesn’t matter, you just need the center of the circle to be the center of the entry. Then you can use the built-in ‘Keyhole’ path to do all the work. The most important thing is to set the ‘Angle’ parameter - 0 degrees cuts to the right from the entry, 90 degrees straight up, etc continuing anti-clockwise.

Also set the depth appropriately for your bit and the material.

Finally, the simulation will not be accurate - it will show the location of the cut properly, but it will show it as if it was an endmill.

3 Likes

Thank you! This was perfect!

For more on the toolpath see

and for a compleat discussion of doing it manually (which should convey all the specifics) see:

1 Like

Your willingness to ask questions gives us answers to things we are also curious about; much appreciated!

1 Like

Any Big Box hardware store should have keyhole router bits. I bought mine at Menards and it works quite well.

1 Like

Thank you! You all have been such a big help!

Thank you! I’ll take a look!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.