Laser information

Probably so, but the effort to build one is likely to be larger than making a smoke shoe. I’m surprised how many cases of “I just use a big fan and let the garage doors open” I find while searching. But Donovan’s idea is what I am after for now

1 Like

Good morning,
I’m a firefighter as a career, i find it funny (not funny), that the smoke management is “optional accessories” for a lot of these units. I don’t want to breath this crap in on my job, let alone in my shop.

3 Likes

For what it is worth, this is exactly why I posted this note.
Thank you so much for everyone posting and kicking this around. I appreciate everyone’s input and value you sharing your experience.

Another dark point about “laser cutting” (and the smoke) is that you are burning wood. The only way to get rid of the burnt edge is to cut it off. It isn’t attractive. We spend so much time getting feeds and speeds correct on the CNC so we don’t leave burn marks. Go figger.

I made some disassembling dice towers recently. Since everything I did with the laser created burn marks, I just used some cheap junk 0.1" plywood. The laser cut out precise slots (8 passes @ 80%) for tabs and slots to assemble the thing, but the surrounding wood was always burnt colored.

The only finish that I could apply was paint.

1 Like

You see Christmas ornaments or anything cut on a laser and they all have the charred edges. I just figured you have to live with it…or yeah, paint it.

It isn’t attractive. The results of laser cutting that you see everywhere on Etsy is not woodworking.

Occasionally I see people bashing stuff made on a CNC. “Oh, that isn’t woodworking, it’s computer programming”

Whatever, to each their own.

1 Like

Please don’t put me in that class of “bashing”. My previous post did not even imply such a thing.

LOL, I’m sure whom ever built the Mayflower would have loved a CNC.

1 Like

Oh gosh no. Please, that wasn’t my intention at all.

I’ve heard it before that some don’t like any lasered objects because of the black burned edge. And some don’t like CNC work because it isn’t “real woodworking”. Everyone can have their opinion. Yeah, i get it, this is completely different from stuff like Japanese Joinery. Those guys are true masters. (I’m speaking to the masses that don’t care for what we create)

Personally I like creating stuff with my CNC (although I’m not nearly as advanced as a lot of people on here). I get enjoyment from working through challenges on the computer and then making something.

I’ve fought with folks in my realm about that same topic. I’ve found that what we do with our CNC routers is really only a third of a project, including the laser add-on. Designing and finishing can be even more complicated. There’s nothing like the stress of having a cut project in front of you while trying to imagine what the irreversible finish is going to do to it.

Use the laser as a supplement to the CNC router, and you’ll have a unique tool. Cutting out parts is not what its good at.

That is good food for thought.

So a question. The stuff you see people make, like furniture. Those interlocking type chairs, (sometimes they almost look like a string of ribs or vertebrae). I think they look very cool and I wonder if I could make such a thing. But they are usually made out of ¾" or 1" stock. That would have to be a big industrial type laser wouldn’t it? Definitely not hobbyist type lasers.

Some of those are cool to me, too. You don’t need a laser to do that; just some good old thinking and planning.

1 Like

Like this?

yeah, i think that stuff looks cool! I see chaise lounge chairs too. Probably uncomfortable to sit on though! :rofl:

That could be a good thing depending on the company you keep.

A lot of good advice here. Also I was reading through the posting of @baricl regarding an Atomstack machine. There was a lot of good information posted there too.

I am considering that J Tech quad-diode laser and adding it on to my current XXL-Pro.

I’ve done a bit on various techniques for joinery:

and I’ve pretty much nailed down a very simple technique which allows joining two pieces of wood at right angles:

and am working on a full blind miter version of that which is even simpler (down to two tools from 3):

2 Likes

Thanks Will,

I continually refer to your book, that is great reference material.

You have done quite a lot for Carbide 3D.

2 Likes

Interesting discussion, I had been putting off getting a (powerful) laser to CUT things because of that charred look, but half of the stuff I make these days is function over aesthetics anyway. What I’m really after is complementarity between CNC milling, laser cutting, and surface engraving (be it with a drag bit or laser) to do complex projects. Some seethrough panel patterns are just too impractical to make on a CNC for example. Or fine lettering when vcarve does not cut it.
I was especially interested in @SLCJedi’s comment about how lasering is not suitable to make tight fits, because of the angled kerf. I had not thought of that…

2 Likes