Layer Questions

I created a 3 layer file from an svg (Will will recognize it :slight_smile: ), but when I open the svg in other software it’s a single layer. This is my first attempt at layering, they’re unimaginatively named Outside, Whirl 1, and Whirl 2.

Is this a bug, feature, or my mistake? The c2d file is attached

Inkscape 1.1.2 : No layers, and seems to be missing Whirl 2’s paths
Estlcam 11.244_a_64 : Shows one layer, also seems to be missing Whirl 2’s paths
VCarve Desktop 11.0.10 : Shows one layer, also seems to be missing Whirl 2.

From some more digging it appears that layers may be kind of bodged into svg and I may be hoping for too much, the SVG 2 spec doesn’t appear to mention layers although I did find proposals discussed for adding them, and from this old reference Inkscape kind of went it’s own way. I did notice that nothing in the CC exported svg file is even grouped, just a series of paths in the format "path d="M82.5954 184.909 C75.3395 176.218, … ". Everything in each layer is grouped into one group.

The file is a chip carving rosette with 18 leaves surrounded by 18 football shapes (forgive my lack of the proper terms, engineer’s disease…). To make everything a closed shape and carve the way I wanted I took the original file, made two layers of alternating leaves that were all closed shapes, then the third was closed shapes for the outside (call them) footballs. Regular v-carve in CC does a great job on them, when sized so my 1/4" 90* bit is large enough, even if it cuts them in less than optimal order. In inkscape, etc. the design looks right but it appears to have every other leaf and the border closed with the bottom whirl layer omitted. I’m confused

test-chip-carve-cc.c2d (114.8 KB)

I don’t believe Carbide Create preserves layers when exporting SVGs — that would be a feature request.

Bummer :frowning: Even including grouping would be handy and should be comparatively easy. How does one make a feature request?

There’s a topic category of ‘Feature Request’, and if you like you can narrow it down to either Carbide Create or Carbide Motion.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.