Let’s talk about v-wheels

There seems to have been a lot of beer holding recently! Can’t wait to see what will come out of this. Maybe some more of my predictions will come to life.

3 Likes

I’m very afraid of what this is going to do to my disposable income in 2020. Might need to cut down on food :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes - I think we just need a subscription service where carbide3D just sends us a Shapeoko upgrade once a month :laughing:

2 Likes

OMG a Subscription service would be AMAZING! Take my money now!

I’d be in for the “Shapeoko Upgrade of the Month” club! Where do I sign up?

1 Like

This is fun. My next new thread will be Let’s talk about Linear Rails…

Then Let’s talk about 800w 110v spindles the next step up from trim routers…

And then…

11 Likes

IMO it’s better not to break anything. Controlling spindle torque enables that. :slightly_smiling_face:

And didn’t you say earlier that “I’ve had my XXL for 3-4 years and still on original wheels… how are yours failing?”

1 Like

Why did you “say” that?

1 Like

Controlling spindle torque has its place, it won’t do much to help if an endmill is plowed into a vise or chunk of aluminium.

I have had my XXL since they were released, and have been quite lucky with it - not one big crash yet. However prior to that I had a standard SO3, which was my first CNC. The wheels on it did not last so well - it had a few decent crashes. My point is not that the wheels fail (in my experience they don’t seem to) but i think its a good thing having a weak point on a machine that is targeted at the newer end of the CNC spectrum, V wheels are cheap and easy to replace

2 Likes

You got me all hot and sweaty over here…

Maybe this would speed up the process.

5 Likes

But wouldn’t the stepper motors just slip or stall before something broke if the endmill wasn’t spinning? I guess I haven’t done that yet?!

from running a hdz into a bitsetter…
no they keep going :wink:

3 Likes

Cool - what all broke?

my router came out of its holder, a few acentric nuts came loose so that vwheels came off their track, and I had to retighten some belts :wink:

Sounds like HDZs can provide a lot more than the 18 lbf of the stock Z axis! You’re lucky the router wasn’t running at the time! I, and likely many others, have broken both Z and X axis V-wheels on stock Z axis Shapeokos when crashing running routers.
Has anyone out there broken V-wheels when the spindle wasn’t running?
2020-01-03 Update: This issue was discussed in depth in an earlier thread. The question wasn’t answered though. :wink:

1 Like

Surprisingly, the V-wheels apparently don’t contribute significantly to Shapeoko deflection when compared to that from stock and steel drive belts!

1 Like

Huh, I work for 3M and I’ve not heard this story. Interesting

Can’t find the article I read, but here’s a journal article — turn to pg. 18:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.