Limit stop file and squaring Shapeoko

I was going through posts and came across this post by Liam on how to square the shapeoko. The part I am struggling with is the Fusion 3d file that is attached to the post. I downloaded it and unzipped it but when I try to open in Fusion 3D it doesn’t open. What am I doing wrong ? I am not familiar with Fusion 360 and just downloaded the free personal version.

Here is the original post

It is a Fusion 360 file, and opens for me in Fusion 360.

Do you have the paid or free version?
Does it make a difference if on a mac ?

I have a paid version f F360, and I don’t use any apple products.

1 Like

Did you extract the file from the zip?

How are you trying to open it and what happens when you try?

I just tried it on my MacBook in free Fusion 360 and it opens OK (I made the file on Windows)

When you unzip it do you get a file
Y Limit Stops V4.f3d ?

The file extension matters to Fusion, I had an old copy and the first unzip (open with archive utility) made a file
Y Limit Stops V4.f3d 2
Which Fusion would not open.

This is what I am getting.

I unzip the file and It creates this folder

I then go into Fusion 360 and try to open the file, this is what I see

And then I get this message
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 12.18.14 PM

the only files are .dat files that it can open and each one gives the error above.

This is odd, when I download it on my Mac the .zip extension is disappearing so I don’t have to unzip it. Now when I open the file it opens when I go into fusion and select to open Y Limit Stops V4.f3d

If I go to the file itself and try to open it I have to tell it to open with fusion and it opens a blank file.

Change the file designation from “.h” to “.f3d” and see if this opens for you.

Y Limit Stops v4.h (626.2 KB)

@WillAdams What’s it take to add *.f3d files as an option when we upload.

1 Like

Would zipping them work? .zip archives are allowed, no?

The OP is having trouble with the zipped file. I posted an unzipped file by lying to the website that it’s a .h file (whatever that is) instead of a .f3d file.

It probably doesn’t help that a Mac recognises the f3d as being a zip archive, and allows you to browse into the zipped folder structure within the file.

1 Like

How can the screw be removed in the file? I converted the f3d to STL for a relatives 3D printer but they say they cannot take the screw out of the part in the file and that it will print that as well.

You could just select only the part you want printed when you export the stl. You can also hide and show different parts

1 Like

Ah, there’s a trick to that, sorry. I put the bolt and nut in the same component as the body which causes a bit of a pain.

You can either delete the bolt and nut and then export the whole component like this

Or you can just select the body like this

2 Likes

Perfect thank you, now to have them try printing it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.