MAC adobe photoshop SVG files don’t import

The reason I choose my shapeoko is because carbide create supports Mac.
When I draw in photoshop, then export to SVG through photoshop, carbide create opens the SVG file and it is empty.
My work-around is to export my photoshop files as adobe illustrator, then upload them to convertio online file converter, I then convert to SVG and download the files. Carbide create recognizes the paths and I can import them nicely.
Does anybody know why adobe photoshop SVG files don’t show the paths in carbide create. Not an emergency, but annoying.
Please Advise.

How are your PhotoShop files structured? Do they have vector elements?

If they do, then you should be able to export the vectors from PhotoShopt to Adobe Illustrator or open the .psd file in Adobe Illustrator to get the vectors.

I suspect that when Adobe PhotoShop writes out an SVG it simply places the pixel image in an SVG wrapper — could you post a file you are having this difficulty with either here, or to projects@carbide3d.com ?

1 Like

16_ short side. psd
16_-short-side.-psd

Attached is the photoshop generated .SVG which does not import to carbide create.
Also attached is the convertio generated .SVG which does import 3 vector paths into Carbide create.
Why is this?

Wow. I see a big blank spot where you say the file has been uploaded to.

Simply saving a file as SVG or EPS via Photoshop doesn’t necessarily create vector files, which are required by Carbide Create to create tool paths. Try saving a Photoshop file as .EPS then open in Illustrator, you’ll see what I mean.

If you have a good file in Photoshop, save as JPG then take to Convertio for conversion and see what happens.

That is simply an SVG structure, with no content (hence it appearing blank):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" id="parts_group" data-name="parts group" width="5628" height="2417" viewBox="0 0 5628 2417">
  <defs>
    <style>
      .cls-1 {
        opacity: 0.5;
      }
    </style>
  </defs>  
</svg>

As noted, you will need to:

• open the .psd file in Adobe Illustrator and either extract the vectors from there (if you made them in Photoshop) or trace it in AI — if you think the .psd file has vectors, send us a screengrab of PhotoShop showing your Paths pallet
  • save a pixel image and trace in Carbide Create or some other program:
  • place the pixel image on a background and re-draw it:
1 Like

Generally, Photoshop outputs bitmap graphics rather than vectors. SVG files are just “wrappers” that can contain either true vectors (like those generated by Illustrator, Affinity Design, Inkscape, etc.) or bitmaps (generated by Photoshop, Affinity Photo, GIMP, etc).

Only vector-containing SVGs can be used to create toolpaths.

BTW, PDF files work the same way – that’s why a scanned document PDF is orders of magnitude larger than one generated from straight text. The scanned version contains a big honking bitmap version of the original.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.