Mafell Spindle with manual tool change FM 1000 WS or PV-WS

(Merged two topics on these spindles)

Iā€™m looking forward to playing w/ it myself!

A test fit of the mounting plate went well save for the two M5 holes which I had to open up w/ a #8 index drill (hence the adjusted file above).

Decided that the best option for a finish would be spray paint, so swung by a big box store on the way home and picked up a can of

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/universal-matte-metallic-spray-paint/

as the most expedient finishing option ā€” eased the edges w/ a file, and deburred the holes w/ a countersink bit and scrubbed the plate down w/ a Scotch Brite pad, then wiped off w/ rubbing alcohol to degrease it, so hopefully it will take a couple of coats of paint well tomorrow.

EDIT: One further concern ā€” the mounting plate I made is ~6.6mm thick (probably 6.35mm now that I think on it) ā€” the next thickness up I have is ~13mm thick (probably 12.7mm, 1/2") ā€” should I make one that thick? Trying to decide if Iā€™d want the added overhang cutting depthā€¦ would the added rigidity merit the weight/increase of lever effects? The plate is ~121mm tall, and the distance from the center of the lowest of the upper bolt points to the center of the uppermost of the lower bolt points is 14mm ā€” worried that Iā€™m going to recreate the chatter effects of the initial Shapeoko 3 Z-axis spindle carriage plate.

2 Likes

Painting went well (I really do need to make a spray booth):

Going to allow it to cure for ~48 hours ā€” that should give me time to make a hardware store run to pick up 2 M5x12 BHCSs (fortunately was good on the two different lengths of M6s).

That just leaves waiting on the delivery of the reducing bushing which a wonderfully talented and generous machinist was kind enough to make, and working up dust collection.

7 Likes

Last week I finally gave in and purchased the pop up spray booth.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DNXH8QL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HGAR7P6ND3QCDB6TZ2EN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I have a bigger version of that. I think it is a HomeRight or something like that. They make the big one I have and one like the one you bought. They are good ideas for keeping the mess contained and then fold up and store away. Rockler caries the HomeRight small shelter and is a little cheaper than your Amazon one. You always have to check up on Amazon. Some things are cheap and others are over priced. https://www.rockler.com/small-homeright-spray-shelter

Both companies have 3 sizes, small medium and large.

1 Like

Absolutelyā€¦I got the medium - so it was $40.50 from Amazon or $39.99 from Rockler.

The challenge is, it takes 30-40mins one way to drive to my local rocker, so after you add fuel and time, Amazon was cheaperā€¦

but the actual reason why Amazon is cheaperā€¦is because I always find something else you need to buy when you go to Rockler (Iā€™m assuming Iā€™m completely unique in this challenge :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

1 Like

Things at Rockler are like eating potato chips, you cant eat just one. I used to work around the corner from a Rockler store but now I live out in the country and everything I order is online and shipped to me. So you could do the same if you do not have time to go to the store and spend money. :smiley:

I keep UPS and FedEx busy with deliveries to me. As a side note two things I ordered Monday showed up yesterday which for Amazon was remarkable. Since Covid lock downs started my deliveries from Amazon have been taking a week. Luckily what I needed came just in time for me to use the parts without delaying the project. Maybe Amazon has turned the curve in delivering what they promise with Prime.

2 Likes

Managed to work up dust collection I believe:

Sweepy adapter_HDPE_9mm.c2d (612.7 KB)

and just received a package w/ an 8mmā€“6.35mm reducing bushing made by a wonderfully talented and generous machinist here:

Miscounted/mismeasured the bolts, and the local hardware store didnā€™t have the M5 BHCSs I went there for on Saturday, so will have to go to one across the river after work tomorrow.

7 Likes

Mcmaster-carr does - if you ordered this afternoon or early tomorrow, youā€™d probably see them tomorrow morning or afternoon (I would in San Diego). More than youā€™ll ever need, but prices and shipping are usually reasonable.

1 Like

Gonna ride across the river deep and wide
Ride across the river to the other side

2 Likes

Iā€™m a wimp - Iā€™d likely go with McMaster-Carr - nice tune though (are they Brits too?)

1 Like

Yep, theyā€™re brits.

That was the first album I ever bought to play on the first turntable I built with the first amp and probably first set of speakers I built.

1 Like

Youngster! Valve amp? I have some of their LPs too, awesome band (and guitar licks)! :wink:

1 Like

Indeed, my first amp build was a MOSFET, I always thought valves were best for guitar amp headsā€¦ It didnā€™t take me long to get to Stevie Ray Vaughan from there.

4 Likes

I would very much like to see you do this hot swap then :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hardware store didnā€™t have exactly the hardware I wanted (really miss the local place which closed which had a much better selection), so have ordered from the magical land at the other end of the FedEx route.

Looks like Iā€™m going to need a couple of dust shoes since the design I hacked up isnā€™t adjustable to account for different lengths of endmill stickout, so I guess itā€™s back to Lowes to buy another extension wand or two to cut up.

Debating on trying a design which connects to the underside of an HDZ4 which would be static relative the height of the stock.

Go take a look at PWN CNC Dust boot. I think they had their design on thingiverse. That is if you have a 3d printer or know someone that does.

Not wild about how that mounts, and Iā€™d prefer to work up a design which is easily made using the machine, rather than requiring a 3D printer (have yet to get mine back up and running since loaning it out).

Take a look at this one: Dust Shoe for Kress, Mafell, and other (?) Spindles / Milling Motors by nbernard - Thingiverse maybe you can adapt and machine your own. It was the only one on thingiverse that mentioned Mafell.

1 Like

Latest bit of progress is making a vacuum hose adapter:

will finish up the dust shoe for that, then Iā€™ll make a series of adapter plates of various thicknesses which will allow adjusting for different lengths of endmill stickout.

I recently bought a VacMaster 16 Gal Shop Vac. During my search for bags and accessories I saw that many ShopVac filters and bags fit the VacMaster. Check out VacMaster to see if they make your fittings. They may make the Shop Vacs or at least some of them. I have an older Craftsman that has the same embossing on the top as the VacMaster and I think they just make vacs for whoever wants them to make them.

1 Like