Making a spindle turning setup for the xxl

So I am going to have a spare 2.2kw water cooled spindle and Vfd. I had another failure and the amazon seller is replacing it by shipping a new spindle From China. God only knows how long it will take. So in the meantime I ordered another identical spindle and vfd so I can get caught back up on orders.

I am on the fence as to whether or not I’ll be keeping it or returning it with the new spindle when it arrives.

So if I were to keep it I can’t just have it laying around. My mind doesn’t work that way. Do what if I built a lathe to mount either to the table or in front of it in order to turn table legs and such. I could make around a 30” long turned section with it if I hang it out the front enough.

So is it durable using fusion 360 to design a turning and have the machine only move on the z and y axis and treat it like a cnc lathe?

I don’t have to have the shapeoko control the rpm. That’s easy enough to set an rpm manually for the turning.

I’m just curious really if I can do it with a couple pieces of extrusion a lathe chuck and a live center I might have it a go.

1 Like

I did something like that when experimenting with using my Shapeoko in combination with a mini-lathe. I understand your usecase is different, but the part about using the Fusion360 turning post processor and hacking it for my need might be useful to you if you go down that road.

2 Likes

Ok so it’s doable(maybe)

Time to design a lathe that allows me to turn the largest diameter I can.

2 Likes

The more I think about this… I think I’m going to just build another machine.

The spindle is overkill for spinning stock. I can do that with just about any motor out there and a belt drive.

I need to learn more about g code and this may force me to do it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.