Making a stacked-text sign using the new layer feature in Carbide Create (version 521+)

Note that it will be necessary to drag-select the smaller text since the locked text layer interferes w/ selection. Select and duplicate each letter which crosses a counter:

Drag back into alignment:

Select the counter:

Select the duped letter:

(since the locked layer makes selection so problematical and expedient work-around is to move the contents some fixed distance)

Shift-click on the duplicate to add it to the selection as the key object (dashed highlight):

Boolean subtract it:

Select the two letter outlines:

and Boolean Union:

Repeat for each other letter.

1 Like

Simple overlaps are simple, just select and Boolean Union:

Multiple letters involving counters require multiple selections and duplications:

So long as one didn’t group letters, then overlaps with counters simply involve selecting the outer geometry and unioning:

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch, Will!

So it’s basically the same with the exception that you have to convert the text to curves so you can individually Boolean union the outer geometry for each overlap. Does that sound about right? I’m going to practice.

I have to say, from a productivity stand point, the temptation to avoid converting to curves and individual union operations by using build 474 is strong haha.

1 Like

Something like that.

As noted, you can instead:

• convert to curves
  • export to SVG
  • open in a vector editor
  • select each text object’s constituent elements
  • join into a composite path
  • Boolean union
  • export to SVG

Arguably, this sort of thing is better done in a vector editor such as Inkscape or Serif’s Affinity Designer.

(Relative newbie here)
The original instructions on stacked text were straight forward. Now, due to changes in Boolean operation, the steps are so convoluted that I gave up trying to follow them :frowning: Not sure why Boolean was changed but my vote is to put it back as it was!

1 Like

what was the user error? I apparently did the same thing?

I don’t think so. I fallowed the orginal instructions and here is the result. I used just 1/4" flat bit so it’s missing fine details. But I wanted to try the technique and it works.

Your design worked because it didn’t have any closed regions which cross.

Instructions worked to the letter.
I did find a Vcarve doesn’t work well for stacked text.

Again, you didn’t make the effort to account for the crossing of the upper m over the counter of the lower e.

This was a test on my part to see how it worked. I would have played with it more if it were a real project.
I do not really like the fact using the .125 can’t make sharper points where the upper and lower letters connect, that is why I tried Vcarving. Didn’t work well.

Most folks do well w/ V carving such signs, and it allows much more detailed cutting.

With stacked text? It did not look so good when I tried it.
Show me how it’s done please.

Using a design similar to the example you have:

Convert both pieces of text to curves:

Select the top text and offset it by the displacement of the V endmill when cutting the design to the desired depth (draw things up in profile or do the trigonometry to determine this):

So offset by half that width:

Boolean union w/ the lower text (note that the text was positioned so as to sidestep the issue of the counter for the e by covering it pretty much completely):

Repeat the inset w/ the outer border, only to the inside:

Do an Advanced V carving using the top layer of text and the outer border to the desired depth:

Do a second V carving using the balance of the geometry:

w/ a begin depth at the bottom of the pocket:

which previews as:

1 Like

I see what I did wrong. I didn’t do an offset on the “MY” to account for the Vcarve.
I have been enlightened yet again by your wisdom.

Thank you, my good man!

Im referring to the Georgiev Oliver step by step… I’m not getting this. I know it seems simple enough, but it’s not flying right for me. Could you please do a capital P with a lowercase d intersecting through both loops. I thought I had Boolean functions sorted in my head, but v6 has fried my wiring.

First, set the text:

Arrange as desired:

Draw things up in profile to determine how deeply things will be cut, and the necessary offset — assuming a 60 degree V endmill and 0.125" deep for each layer:

Select the text for the upper layer and offset to the outside by the necessary width:

Duplicate the lower text and set the duplicate aside:

Boolean union the outer offset geometry w/ the lower text:

Convert the duplicate text into paths and drag it into alignment w/ the unioned geometry:

Select the offset geometry for the counter for the upper text and the counter of the lower text and do Boolean intersection:

Repeat the offset for the upper text:

bring the geometry for the counter of the lower text back, select it and then the offset geometry for the outside of the upper text:

and Boolean subtract:

Clean up any unnecessary geometry:

Draw in the outer geometry for the V carving:

Inset it:

Select the geometry for each layer and assign a V carving at the appropriate depth:

and

which previews as:

Attached.

Pd.c2d (201.2 KB)

5 Likes

@fenrus
Very well crafted tutorial :ok_hand:t5:
Easy to follow, and I can see this technique being used in my future projects.

I will try this and post it here when I get the chance.

When I do, I will be sure to contour with a small bit possibility 1/8 or 1/16. That way the letters dont end up connected together due to a large bit size.