Military Emblems

I’ve seen several requests for military emblems or help for problems with them on the boards. Here is a site listed our small Kokomo CNC Group’s resources list. Since they have free SAMPLE downloads at that site I’m sure there is a charge for the files you need to download, but that is where our members obtain their emblem files.

http://www.cncmilitaryemblems.com/index.html

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder how they are getting around the military seals and most of the emblems being copyright by the US government…

The U.S. Government and government agencies are not allowed to copyright anything. The only way that they can get around that is to hire an outside agency to create something as a work for hire, then sign the copyright over to them.

Most military symbols are available from Wikimedia, and I’ve drawn up a couple and posted them to various places around here.

If there’s something folks are having difficulty with, please post it and we’ll see what can be done.

Well, I have no idea how they get around all of the technicalities of the copyright. That is, I’m assuming, a commercial Web Site though.
And, being that public I would think they have some kind of tie-in to use those files.

I didn’t know that Carbide had some of those stored/sourced!

Please see:

I’m not so sure this is completely accurate.

The Air Force has their own Intellectual Property Management Office.

“The U.S. Air Force Symbol is a registered trademark. The Army Air Corps symbol (Hap Arnold Wings) and Air Force Emblem are two of many Air Force trademarks. The use of these trademarks for commercial purposes, including reproduction on merchandise, is expressly prohibited unless the producer completes a license agreement with the Air Force. Department of Defense employees, their families and veterans are required to get a license if they have a company, small business or hobby that intends to sell products bearing any Air Force trademark.”
https://www.trademark.af.mil/About-Us/

In other concerns it is not an issue of copyright, but rather US Code:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/713

Not trying to be that guy - just providing information. I imagine we all have infringed in some form or fashion at some point, probably unknowingly. I know I have (and no admission of guilt if I still do at times :sunglasses:) Our level doesn’t attract much attention usually. A real world example of one that did was USAA. They used to offer branch specific seals and logos on their credit cards - obviously a recognition and pride aspect for veterans. This went on for years (I still have old ones). However, today none of these options exist - only military associations are options.

Sorry, not copywriter, trademarks, and I tried to go through all of the branches to get proper permission to use their emblems and only received one. The remainder refused. This was engraving on military urns. Yes, we fall under the little fish, but this site is selling conversions. Guess that is ok…

copyright != trademark

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.