Mills which one to use?

Hello,

I’m from belgium, end this month i’m going to purchase a Shapeoko 3 XXL.
I have a few questions…

1. Can you use the same mills you use for a hand milling machine?
  2. Which program do you use to make your files? fusion 360, carbide create, Vcarve?
  3. Did you also maked an enclousure for your shapeoko?(photo)
  4. Is there a libary on the internet where you already can choose files?
  5. I want to make my own private libary which one do you use?
  6. Sorry for my English :smiley:

Greetings from the waffleland :smiley:

Edwig Reyniers

1 Like

Hi Edwig,

Welcome to the club of european shapeoko owners :slight_smile:

1. depends on the diameter of the shank, so maybe not. Typical collets for the makita/dewalt routers are for 1/4" or 1/8" shanks
  2. Carbide Create to begin, and you would probably migrate to Fusion360 (very popular) and VCarve later on.
  3. Almost everyone does (you will soon understand why : dust & noise), look through the forum and you’ll find dozens of pictures. Here’s a recent view of the inside of my own enclosure : Aluminium Threaded Table - Design for the UK & EU
  4. Carbide3D came up with https://cutrocket.com/
  5. not sure what you mean by “library”, you can share Carbide Create CAD files here or on cutrocket, and Fusion360 has a built-in sharing mechanism

Cheers,
Julien

3 Likes

People using PC/Mac desktop software usually store their files on their computer but some software is web based and the files are kept on-line. One of them is Easel, another relatively easy to use software to create objects, it is a free web based software where you keep your files on-line and you can make your creations accessible to others.

1 Like

Yes, within the constraint that your spindle (router) will be limited in tool and shank size. Typical is 3.2mm (1/8") and 6.35mm (1/4") (or 3mm and 6mm depending on whether US or world collets) as the usable shank sizes. The tools in this size range tend to want the speeds that a router spins (10000RPM and up). You can also use standard router tools for many things, but keep in mind that the structure of the machine is not infinitely rigid, and the force available to move the tool is not unlimited, so larger tools, like router profile tools, may be problematic and will have limitations based on the CAM software you use. The Shapoko wiki has a lot of information. https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Endmills

This is dependent upon what you are making. A little information on what your use will be will help here.

There are a lot of available models, but, again, it depends on what you are doing whether you can find models you want to use.

I am not sure what you are asking here.

Don’t apologize. It is better than my french, and I was conversational, though not fluent outside technical areas, when I lived in Quebec during college (many, many years ago…It is all gone now, I fear)

The software I use the most is Inventor, since I use it for my job (and teach it), but I also use solidworks (when I need to for client work), Fusion360 (free license is high feature, so great return for no money, though I find it a bit slow, resource hungry, and don’t love the interface).

If you are new to CNC, and are doing primarily 2.5D and carving (2.5D is cuts over an area to depth… no sloped surfaces), then the C3D software is a very good place to start. I cannot speak to Vcarve, as I do not use it. I would second that migration to Fusion360 is a good choice if you are doing more CAD-like work. For carving type work, many recommend Vcarve.

Enjoy the machine. THere are people here that use the living **** out of the shapeoko commercially, and love it. I think you will find it, and the support community, to be a positive experience.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback already great community!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.