Modular 65mm clamp and air blast bracket

Working on some modular parts for different spindles. My current bracketed air blast hose is vibrating out of place mid carve I wanted something easy to hook up and remove, that will stay where it is supposed to be…
This stock router version has a 65mm clamp, uses 1/4 flat head socket caps screws for attachments, a small air gun nozzle for the bottom and a quick connect fitting on top.
Has a side window to loosen the clamp and easily remove/replace it.

Will update with finished pics soon.

7 Likes

I can tell you guys are just as excited about this bracket as I am, so here you go!

8 Likes

You guessed it, that’s the new 1/8 single flute 1/32 cut height bit I just ordered!

3 Likes

Mmmh, I may steal the idea to bring the air hose up to the bracket and follow with a long nozzle/needle like this (rather than my twisty locline that I can’t really trust to stay on target for long).

3 Likes

Yes mine was impossible to keep pointed at the bit, and ended up breaking the above end mill due to wandering air blast… This clamp and bracket is very light and works perfectly, happy to send you the models. Just needs a few minor tweaks first.

1 Like

That’s nice thanks, I would have to roll my own though to adapt it to my frankenstein dust shoe/frame. Have you considered making a Z-independent version of this ? I like my air jet to stay aimed at the surface of the stock throughout the cut, when cutting deep slots (such that the air mostly goes “into” the slot, and the focus point does not end up blowing air elsewhere when the tool is deep into the cut)

I am in the middle of a dust boot design with air blast built in, a tornado system and a ramp for chip evacuation. I have multiple versions I am playing with, one with this modular router clamp, and one that uses the fixed Suckit clamps. I was formulating an idea to remove the Suckit mounting brackets and make my own thinner brackets to increase footprint. The Suckit really sticks out a lot to the sides.

1 Like

Suckit has unnecessary heavy aluminum parts also…

Be careful, this is EXACTLY the reason that sent me through a multi-months rabbit hole of designing custom dust shoes :slight_smile:
I’m pretty happy I did though, I was able to leverage that extra inch of travel on multiple occasions on my small SO3

1 Like

I think I have more fun building parts for the machine then I do using it.

3 Likes

I have no idea what you are talking about :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I have some designs for minimal width dust boot arms I could share. Though I was planning on milling them from aluminum. The suckit arms I have are steel.

1 Like

Here’s my design, still a work-in-progress. https://a360.co/3mCY5R8

I moved the height adjustment to the back to avoid the knobs sticking out from the sides. I was planning to mill the rear blocks from aluminum, though I’m not really sure why (it’s at least 3 setups unless you have a 4th axis). If you have a 3D printer, that should be sufficient, otherwise milling them from plastic would probably work too.

The arms I do want to mill from aluminum, but they are fairly simple with only a single setup required. They have the slots for the suckit boot to mount into with the magnets to hold it in place.

I guess I need to get around to finishing this thing. I’ll try printing the rear brackets, because that was my major holdup.

3 Likes

Very nice model!
I just don’t see the need for steel or aluminum on a dust boot bracket. 3D printed PLA, or regular plastic is lighter and plenty strong enough for the job in my estimation. The less weight the better! I guess it is not an issue when it can take a 2.2kw spindle fine…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.