My CNC'd wrist rest for my keyboard (Keychron K3)

Hi, a newby here! I finally got the time to design (Fusion 360) and build (Shapeoko Pro XXL) a wrist rest for my Keychron K3. This is a first prototype made from some plywood. I plan to CNC the next slightly improved version out of a nice piece of hardwood. Let me know what you think!

13 Likes

5 Likes

15 Likes

I like what you have created here.
Nice Job!

1 Like

I have been using all my willpower to not fall into the “mechanical keyboards” rabbit hole, and then you come up with this cool wrist rest design and have me look up what a Keychron K3 is, dangerous situation ahead :sweat_smile:

My vote for the final version is bamboo (as always. I’m biased)

That second pic though, did you win the lottery or something to afford that large sheet of high-quality plywood :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Thanks!
(As a newby now I understand why posts/replies sometimes have ‘20 characters’ in them :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

Thanks Julien! Yeah if you’re anything like me (prefer low profile, Magic keyboard) the K3 is awesome. It had some issues at the beginning, but those should be sorted out by now.

Bamboo is definitely a good idea, if I can get my hands on some that could be nice.

This plywood was € 15 per square meters. If I’m correct it’s poplar. There’s this wood supply in the neighbourhood that sells wood they ‘save’ from the furnace. Mainly old/sick trees that gets chopped but also residual/damaged wood etc. that businesses throw out. They usually sell standard plywood sheets (8 x 4 foot) for around € 40-50. Is that expensive compared to US?

4 Likes

tip: Ikea chopping boards

I wouldn’t know, but in France the good kind of plywood is around twice that price.

3 Likes

That’s a good tip! Thanks!

Ah I automatically assumed you live in the US since you work at Carbide. Is the price you mentioned for 18mm plywood? That’s quite a lot.

It can be available from sheet goods suppliers in the U.S. for pretty reasonable prices:

https://industrialplywood.com/browse/exotic-products/bamboo.html

1 Like

Nice, thanks Will!
20chars

I just checked, 18mm, ~4x8, 75 euros here ($90)
:frowning:

All wood products have gone thru the roof price wise- a standard sheet of ply wood can run close to $ 150 here- but IMO Baltic birch, Finnply or possibly the less expensive Russian made sheets are worth the money for fine cabinet/ wood work especially when the edge grain is used for the final aesthetic, due to more layers and voidless construction. I use it exclusively. I make batches of 6-10 of these coffee bag clips w tablespoon machined out. Note lots of edge grain showing. Nice job on the kybd surround BTW.

5 Likes

Have you milled those yet? We have two clamped together that are leftover from another project. Small piece… so I don’t want to ruin it quite yet until the stores open again (pandemic) and I can get more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I kind of have a thing for using bamboo cutting boards as my go-to stock. What I like about (most of?) the Ikea ones is that they are solid bamboo. The thin ones always are anyway, but among the thickest bamboo boards, some of them have a hidden core made from random scraps of other woods, and glue. Which you only discover when milling them, and I don’t like disappointment. “Endgrain” bamboo is my favorite by far, but Ikea doesn’t have them.

16 Likes

Very Nice Work!
What is Miam Miam?

French for Yummy Yummy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That HDPE in bamboo endmill holder is a great idea!

Do you guys verify HDPE cutting boards first? Or if it’s white plastic cutting board, it’s good enough for messing around?

I found it hard to find specs, but did find one site and it said it was polypropylene, so probably HDPP. Some lights googling suggests other than UV strength they should be close enough for messing around? (Differences in stiffness)

1 Like

I usually stay away from the cheapest/thinnest/lightest plastic chopping boards, but anything thick and heavy has turned out to mill properly, HDPE or not

2 Likes