My contribution to aluminum milling

Yes we have taken the same route on the design.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see it! :smiley:

This is the difference, I have a plate already mounted but it only has a single row of bolts and I noticed some flex in that joint so now I have made it twice the thickness and 2 rows of bolts.

2 Likes

Gonna guess you have the linear rails at the edge of the extrusion (from the spacing I see in your design)? Probably adding to the lever forces of the adapter plate. I was a little OCD and center’d my rail to the extrusion [center] groove and edge, but also caused things to be more claustrophobic.

Yes I have, it was so much easier that way. More simple to design and easy to fabricate. Had a another design at first but it got to complicated for me at the time, I really want it to be a billet some time :nerd_face:.

But wow what a machine the shapeoko has become with linear bearings on all axis.

3 Likes

Yeah, KISS is usually best :slight_smile: It took me over three months, and probably about 4 prototype’d iterations.

Can’t agree more, no regrets!

2 Likes

This last part was cut at 3000mm/m 1mm DOC
full with cut when slotting contour. 2700mm/m 9mm DOC 0.3mm OPT. With a 6mm Datron single flute.

Faced using Datron 14mm single flute 1000mm/m 0.3mm DOC 10mm OPT.

45degre face was cut with a 6mm ballend at 2000mm/m 0.5 DOC and 0.3mm stepover.

Drilling was done with a 4mm has drill att 13000rpm and 60mm/m feed no peck.

6 Likes

Did some work in 7075-t6 today. at 2700mm/m 4mm WOC 1mm DOC spindle at 30k.
Chipload is about 0.1mm
Datron 6mm 4in1 endmill.

Pretty happy how it turned out.

7 Likes

3-flute cutter / good old 0.001" chipload?

2 Likes

I always forget some data :man_facepalming:t3:

So a hefty 0.004" chipload…I need to get me some of those Datron single flute cutters to try that someday.

2 Likes

Yep it’s quite a load on the spindle but if you never try you never know/learn :grin:

2 Likes

Ah, but I see you have linear rails. I’m not sure my V-wheels would enjoy that 0.1mm chipload so much.

4 Likes

Yup - machine load is much worse than spindle load. :wink:

2 Likes

Datron 4-1 are simply magical! Pretty jealous you have that 14mm SF, bet it runs smooth!

Do you have any tips for high load high rpm machining? Toolpath tips?

3 Likes

Yes i really like Datron and for me in Europe it’s not more expensive than carbide3d’s.

So now the answer to that question, I have just gone by the Datron default settings and scaled down to my spindle power and from there by feel( eyes and ears) I like to have silent cuts so to speak. Light and fast seems to be the way to go. @Vince.Fab it’s actually you that have guided me along this path :nerd_face:.

Oo and I have burnt a lot :dollar: on the way.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Finished parts. It’s not perfect but it’s an adapter for a gearsensor on a xtreme kart so🤷🏼‍♂️.

6 Likes

Yes I have gone with the full upgrade so to speak :slight_smile:

Oo and that 14mm bit.

6 Likes