My new electronics enclosure

I have been moving my XXL to a new workshop, and building out my dream upgrades while at it. One thing I have have always drooled over is the rear automation cabinets holding all the DIN mounted electronics for high end CNCs (Hass etc). So figured I would dabble a little in that space (i.e. be a poser) since I wanted to do proper E-Stop, Feed Hold, etc anyway. Here are some pics (still a work in progress obviously).

Here you can see the controller cabinet on the wall, and the button box for E-Stop, Feed Hold, and Vacuum On/Off:

Here is view of the other side of the enclosure with the 220V mains disconnect switch. Still to do is running out the 12V/GND cable for my smaller water pump enclosure I built (will create a separate post on that), as well as the spindle power cable. Also seen is the exhaust port for the bottom mounted fan.

And finally the fun stuff with details on the controller enclosure internals:

I replaced the Carbide Motion power supply with a DIN mounted one (24VDC/5A). The 12VDC supply is for running the spindle water pump, power relay, vac relay, and enclosure fan. The 220V Contactor is basically a relay on steroids, and allows the E-Stop button to kill power to the VFD (as well as killing power to the Carbide Motion board via the power relay). I also have a Feed Hold button that I will use as a softer/nicer emergency stop. I didn’t label it, but at the bottom is the 140mm fan for cooling.

One thing I went through great pains with is ensuring ALL grounds in the system are home run back to the central ground location in the cabinet. This includes all electronics and shielded cables. This is super important for system stability. I completely rebuilt all the stepper cables with double grounded 18 gauge cables. As well as shielded cabled for the limit switches.

I also went so far as to isolate the Carbide Controller PCB from the chassis (with felt pads), to ensure the only path to ground was through the power cable that feeds the board (and runs to the central ground). On another note, not sure how well its going to work yet, but for cooling the board I mounted it to some large finned heat sinks (with thermal paste), and have the cabinet fan blowing right on it.

I am currently working on cleaning up my circuit diagram for all this and will post it if anyone is interested.

19 Likes

I’m interested, I planning on doing a proper enclosure soon as well. Where did you end up sourcing the enclosure and din mountable components?

Finally made time for a proper diagram of the electronics.

And here is a list of the components used. Most of it was bought from Mouser, Allied Electronics, and Amazon. The enclosure came from AutomationDirect.

• 24VDC Power Supply (RS Pro 1368319)
  • 12VDC Power Supply (RS Pro 1368301)
  • Mains Disconnect (RS Pro 466148)
  • VFD Contactor (GE Industrial MC1C310ATD)
  • Power Relay (uxcell B017LB4AZ6)
  • DIN Rails (Keadic K111)
  • DIN Terminal Block Black (Phoenix Contact 3045088)
  • DIN Terminal Block Ground (Phoenix Contact 3044092)
  • DIN Terminal End Cover (Phoenix Contact 3047028)
  • DIN Terminal End Clamp (Phoenix Contact 0800886)
  • DIN Terminal Jumper (Phoenix Contact 3033716)
  • Enclosure (Hammond EJ16148LG)
  • 140MM case fan
10 Likes

Are you powering your VFD with the RS Pro 24V ppower supply?

soo slick, i wish i knew electronics moreso.

i only know enough to get in trouble and give electricians nightmares. (but it works :upside_down_face: )

No the VFD is mains powered (220V in my case). The 24VDC power supply just controls the mains power to it via a contactor (aka relay).

Got it. I see that now. I’m planing to go with an HCPM fused disconnect, contactor, and overload relay. I plan to upgrade to a ATC spindle in in the future and want to make sure that the spindle is protected from overload slicks.

I recently found Clough42 on YouTube, he has some great quality content (and video production). Specifically VFD/Electronic wiring (for his lathe, as well as later his mill) and has been very informative for me.

Lathe Variable Speed Upgrade (G0602 VFD)
Lathe VFD 8: How to Wire Circuit Protection (Breaker and Fuse) (missing from the playlist)
Episode 3 was especially interesting to watch, demonstrating EMI and mitigating it.

3HP ATC Spindle for the Grizzly G0704

Unrelated, he has a Lathe Electronic Leadscrew project that is pretty awesome.

Anyway, I hadn’t seen his content shared here, so figure I post it :slight_smile:

1 Like

:drooling_face: Well, see , what you did there was post some damn sexy pictures. Gaaa, I can hear my credit card crying from here.

@Croy9000 Seriously though that’s some nice work, can you ball park the cost for us?

his stuff is soo helpful. i got a l510 and wj200 vfd and his breakdown was great for each (mill and lathe videos). need to adjust my setups based on his insight

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.