My Shapeoko on Steroids

and this is only a 2 flute, i want to try 3 flute, way faster…

when i saw it starting i had my hand on the red button, but them enjoyed the sweet sound…

ok I give up, what is it ? The Neo has its tool store in the back so it could be that, but what’s up with those extra rails ?

The Datron has a fixed gantry and the tool changer at the end of the table, i want to regain table space lost by the magazine so i want to have it move forward when the gantry moves back on the tool change operation, i am thinking i can also do the cover trick by lifting it when the gantry moves back with the magazine extended … that way i have more table space and also protect the tool holders from chips…

Is it getting too complicated?

I also saw Datron used Alcohol like me for misting, (or i use the same they do :-)) but they have 2 nozzles each side and it activates the side depending on the cut direction (that blew my mind) i have no clue on how to do it… i guess Datron uses the x axis movement as a reference!!!

Sometimes i remember the original Shapeoko simplicity, and miss it, but, when the magic happens, and the job finishes after different operations, i can only smile and kiss the machine…

All the problems i have had, have been caused by me… rushing things and not triple checking… too many systems and things that can fail…

5 Likes

Datron use a simple lever/peg to open the cover on the magazine, see it to the right in this YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/mChaf8kMRb4

You could have a similar one mounted on the bed or gantry/end plates to open the cover on yours.

1 Like

Messy try number 1… at the moment i can’t get a pneumatic actuator so i had to install a stepper with an arduino Nano as controller, took me some time to figure out a code to control the stepper movement between positions when ordered by the Cnc controller… and. I ran out of time today… hope to finish it tomorrow… already think i will need to use 2 steppers… only one in the center doesn’t seem to be good enough… and… i wont be able to install the cover… not now… hopefully i will upload a video tomorrow.

4 Likes

In case you haven’t tried it, I found the AccelStepper library to be very handy for this sort of thing. It accellerates and decellerates and can be commanded to go to location.

https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/libraries/accelstepper/

1 Like

Glad to see you have a nice Z foundation now and the enclosure is on point! Looking forward to see the new tool magazine.

If you want a closer look at the Datron Neo mechanism just ask. We have one here at the shop but its leaving soon.

Well spent this morning coffee break reading this, and can only add two things.

1. I put new stickers on my SO3XXL, So yeah your build is ok compared to that.

2. I think you know what your doing lol…

Amazing thread and work well done indeed

Jon

3 Likes

End result of the day:

This should be Pneumatic… :roll_eyes:

it all works but if the Spindle is working, apparently the noise triggers the arduino that controls the stepper… no good

6 Likes

i will have a read, let me see if i can improve the code, acceleration will be better…

Getting there, trying my best with this changes… why the the datron leaving?

number 2… not sure about that

1 Like

I smiled when seeing the teeny tiny stock mechanical limit switch lost in the middle of all that modding grandeur :rofl:
Very cool stuff as usual, please don’t stop pushing the modding limits !

4 Likes

i have new limit switches to do the upgrade but haven’t :smiley: had the time!!!

Inspired by this thread, I just finished my Shapeoko upgrade and thought I’d share a photo of it. I’m pretty sure it can stand up to just about any task…Though I need to rethink circulation, the enclosure might get a little hot.

15 Likes

World of Tanks is the only game I play and I love the model. Is it cast or was it milled on a cnc?

Also watch out for HEAT buildup on the turret cheeks lol.

This is 100% a Maus have upgrade!

Made me bust out laughing, thank you for the effort. I am very envious of this ultimate Shapeoko, and I wish I had one!

1 Like

Latest Update, two more tools on the magazine and also solved the Electrical noise that was triggering the arduino…

6 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but anyone else upset the ball screws don’t have support on both ends? With all the work you put into this, why just have them float?

3 Likes