My Shapeoko on Steroids

The classic version of this is the Ship of Theseus or Theseus’s Paradox (also Washington’s Axe):

https://www.philosophy-foundation.org/enquiries/view/the-ship-of-theseus

4 Likes

I’ve restored a number of wood canoes, & my favorite is a hundred year old Old Town that was my first. After dozens of repairs & 3 major restorations over the last 40 years, 0% of the original material remains in it at this point, but, it’s always held its form, never lost its “character” & has always held its place in the world as that boat. Sometimes I wonder if it’s the same boat, or if it is, and the real problem is in our unrealistic concept of permanence in a natural world that runs on continual growth & decay.

Just when I thought Shapeoko 3 upgrades were becoming common & somewhat standardized, this thread comes along inspiring all kinds of new ideas. I wonder if the local quarry could grind a thick granite slab precisely enough to use as a stiff, solid surface to reference the build off, & float a tapped aluminum bed on… hm.

3 Likes

Yeah, the first person to do this was Brandon Fisher who was able to rebuild his Shapeoko 1 using parts removed from from his upgraded machine by just adding some bolts and V wheels.

It’s been a wild ride, and I hope that some day @edwardrford writes a book along the lines of Jerry Kaplan’s Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure (which if anyone here is interested in the history of the tech industry I’d recommend reading):

5 Likes

Stage 2 has begun!!!

6 Likes

Today’s little job…

I also decided to grow on tthe controller side, went with a Masso controler without Pc… 5 axis and stepper drivers…

3 Likes

Its here… A Masso controller… :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Nice !!!
Just curious, will that one y-axis terminal drive both y-axis steppers?
I noticed you have larger steppers installed is why I ask.

1 Like

Great diegocolonnello another Masso owner. So far as I know that’s two of us although I have a G2 and you a G3! How many axis did you buy with your machine? The MPG is a joy to use also and since you have ballscrews on all axis the resolution will be much finer than with belts where each revolution of the stepper moves ~40mm.

I am sure you will be very pleased with your new toy.

MindlessCorpse Masso doesn’t have stepper drivers built-in but yes normally only a 3 axis machine is required for driving X ,Y left, Y right and Z. I use a Gecko G540 (4 drivers) to drive my 3XL.

4 Likes

I started the MASSO install… this is a 5 axis controller!!! Imagine a 5 axis shapeoko!!!

8 Likes

These are some great steroids!

2 Likes

I “Loved” this post…but I have to be completely honest - I have NO IDEA what you’re doing here. What does a five axis Shapeoko do for you? Please fill me in!

4 Likes

:drooling_face:

20 characters…

3 Likes

Well, for one, it allows one to spend many hours trying to figure out how to make two more rotating axes to pivot the spindle around.

Or, more sensibly, it would be very nice to be able to add a 4th (rotary) axis to the Shapeoko to be able to make round things by rotating them whilst cutting.

6 Likes

3 Likes

If you wonder why 5 axis!!!

I want to do this lion on my Shapeoko… (not titanium) but maybe 6061 Aluminium

2 Likes

Nice,

I’ll be very interested to hear how that works out for you.

Is that belt on both axes or gearbox anywhere?

Looks like belts on both.

You know that upgrades NEVER quit - until . . .
Is this what you are trying for in about 5 years? :smile:

Major Tool L& Machine Tour - 600,000w sq ft JOB SHOP!

1 Like

It looks like you are well on your way with it.
I Admire your ambition

Status update… :smile:

7 Likes