Need a layout lesson

I need some help/a lesson on dividing areas of an SVG up so that I can cut certain sections out. I got the conversion done, however certain areas overlap within the SVG and I’m not sure how to change it. I can’t get it to cut a certain “color” without including others.

Any advice?

Cinci Test run.c2d (324 KB)
cincinnati-bengals-tiger-logo1
cincinnati-bengals-logo-transparent

Please see:

and

as well as:

and:

Basically, you need to create geometry which encompasses each set of grey/black/white regions so that each may be selected and assigned a different sort of toolpath.

This may be done using either Boolean operations, or the Trim Vectors command — we will do this using Trim Vectors, hang on.

First, load the file,

select and duplicate everything in place:

create a new layer:

move the duplicate to it, and lock it (for reference/retrieval):

Note that we will back up a bit and import a screengrab for reference, and then arrange things to match:

Done

(re-lock the Template layer)

It is necessary to carve out the regions which are isolated from those regions which are not — select the isolated regions and duplicate them:

then go into Node Edit mode:

and drag the nodes around the outside so that the extend beyond the outer region

(note that we re-imported the B so as to get curves rather than polylines)

zoom in/out as necessary, and adjust as desired:

where possible, drag off-curve nodes:

Continue until one arrives at:

Done

Add the surrounding geometry to the selection:

and Trim Vectors:

clicking to remove the elements which are not wanted:

until one gets:

OK

OK

Use the Join Vectors command to close things:

Yes

It will be necessary to repeat this process for the counters:

Done

OK
OK

Join Vectors

Yes

One may now assign two different toolpaths to the regions:

attached as a v7 file.

Cinci Test run_v7.c2d (1.8 MB)

The lion head would be handled similarly — let us know if you get stuck and we’ll walk through that as well.

4 Likes

I took a quick look at the Lion Head. There are a lot of extra vectors, and only vectors surrounding the black & white areas. No vectors for the gray.
You can approach this a couple ways. First, create a Black and a White layer (Name them that).
Copy one of each vector that surrounds that color to it’s respective layer. Turn those layers off.
Then use the remaining objects to trim, node edit, and join to make the gray boundaries. Deleting duplicates as you go.

Or, if possible, and you’re pouring colors… Just make a shape around all of the gray, cut that out & pour the gray first. Now cut out the black & pour that, cut the white & pour that, surface it off. (Only works if you’re pouring all 3 colors).

bengal.c2d (164 KB)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.