New Bit Feeds and Speeds

I just got these Solid Carbide CNC Engraving Bits. How do I go about finding the specs that I need to add them to the Carbide Create tool Library.

Extensive discussion at:

and

and

Use extreme caution using the OEM recommendations. They are often for industrial machines and not for hobby level machines.

I added the Freud keyhole bit. The Freud site has the following for that particular bit.

Here is my custom database for the Frued Keyhole bit. My feeds and speeds are significantly different for my Shapeoko 3 over the recommended F&S from Frued. On the Keyhole bit you have to make a full plunge and then it moves forward, reverses and plunges back up. The Freud says between 207-276 IPM and I used 60 IPM and that is still likely a little aggressive. So be careful about using the OEM recommendations.

number vendor model URL name type diameter cornerradius flutelength shaftdiameter angle numflutes stickout coating metric notes machine material plungerate feedrate rpm depth cutpower finishallowance 3dstepover 3dfeedrate 3drpm
701 Freud 70-104 701 Keyhole end 0.39 0 0.25 0 0 2 0.125 0 10 60 16000 0.4375 1 1 60 16000

If there is a tool in the C3D database that is close then just duplicate that tool and edit it more conservative and move up as the conditions allow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.