New here to the community

Hey guys,
Names Bradon and I’m new to the cnc world my fiance and I just ordered a XXL with CCR, bit setter, probe and T-traks. She does a lot of crafts and with recent a recent layoff for myself I decided to pick up a new skill to help her out. I just wanted to introduce myself to the community and would love to share our adventure wasn’t sure where to start a thread.

10 Likes

This place is a good start :). welcome

1 Like

Welcome!

Please note that in addition to all the friendly folks here we have a standing offer — if you get stuck on a file or project send it in to support@carbide3d.com (or post it here) and we’ll do our best to work through it with you.

2 Likes

I believe you helped me the other day with my questions on the CCR lol. I appreciate you placed my order yesterday I can’t wait for it to get here!

2 Likes

Hi Bradon,

Welcome! In case you like to read, I’ll leave this here:
https://shapeokoenthusiasts.gitbook.io/shapeoko-cnc-a-to-z/

Enjoy the machine!

5 Likes

Yessss this is the good stuff. Thank you!!

1 Like

Welcome to the best place to learn and get help

1 Like

Welcome! I think you will be hard pressed to find a more welcoming and respectful community.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! I’d definitely suggest you check out the #gallery there’s lots of cool projects and ideas, it’s a great place to see what can be done! Did you buy tools yet? If not there’s a lot of people here that can offer suggestions!

2 Likes

Def have spent some time in the gallery (it convinced me to get the jtech 7w (anyone wanna talk pleaase)last night so it arrives with everything else so I don’t ever have to break it down the machine besides maint). I lurked the forums for about 2 weeks before I decided to buy and really felt good about the community as well as the product. I’ve got a few tools table saw chop saws chisels clamps but def learning. Can’t wait to share my set up!

2 Likes

Welcome. Check out CutRocket as well. https://cutrocket.com/

4 Likes

Sorry @AutomatedBrad, I need to be more specific when I write things on here :flushed: . When I say “tools” I’m referring to cutters. So engravers, endmills, bits… things like that. Also good call with the jtech really extends the capability! How are you on dust collection?

1 Like

Thats what I’m currenty researching I got the CCR with the sleepy dust boot but thats really where I’m at I’ve got an extra shop vac so that may be my start :man_shrugging:t4:

(nice typo :slight_smile:)

Get a cyclone dust separator as soon as you can, to plug in between your machine and shopvac, your shopvac will thank you.

4 Likes

Rather than a second shop vac, consider an HEPA rated dust extractor — much quieter and suited to continuous operation.

2 Likes

If you want a quick easy and effective solution. Check this out, https://youtu.be/1WnitgYFnE0 I built one and love it, even gets MDF dust. But as @WillAdams pointed out if can swing a dedicated dust collector then go for it!!! That’s my plan for when my shop vac gives up the ghost.

2 Likes

Honestly that was so awesome I haven’t a choice but to try it :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::joy::joy: but will def invest in and extractor soon.

It’s about as easy as it looks, a couple words of advice though…

1. I had to cut the top bucket lower than he showed, and made fingers, to get a good fit.
  2. PVC cement is your friend, I suggest you use it.
  3. If you have an oscillating saw you need to try that razor blade thing… My buddy and I were like the cavemen that discovered fire. We spent over an hour cutting whatever we could find, in the shop, garage and kitchen.
4 Likes

So ordered my XXL last Thursday but won’t ship until next Tuesday( The aggggooonnnyyyyyyy):joy:. My Jtech 7w and T-trak arrive tomorrow :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: and start I to make my extractor (thanks @TheSilentEngineer :joy:) which will at least hold me over. But I ask other than the obvious combing through forum, any tips for someone diving head first.

the thing that helped me most was to read through the entire install doc before touching anything… helped me get an idea of the flow towards the end point.

2 Likes