New Machine arrived

My brand new Shapeoko Pro XXL arrived today, get the garage clean up/remodel completed and I will get the CNC built. I am looking forward to many projects and learning. I have taken all the on-line classes twice and read Make by Edward Ford so I have a some what limited idea about what I am getting into.

5 Likes

That’s great to hear!

Welcome to the family!

If anything comes up, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

What sort of projects do you intend to do?

How do you plan on approaching them?

EDIT: One bit of advice I’d like to put forward — if at all possible, source some sort of ratcheting or T-handle tool, or even a tool with both features such as my most favorite:

(though you’ll want an even longer extension)

William, I am going to take your advice and purchase the T-Ratchet Ti Torque kit, thanks for the tip.

It doesn’t have to be such an expensive option — @KevBarn14 uses a much more affordable (I believe) set of T-handle hex wrenches which arguably would be better since you wouldn’t need an extension, or to change bits.

Another option would be:

I like the T-handles we use. We use a Bondhus set that’s a bit more expensive. $55 or so versus $15 for Harbor Freight types.
Yes, Changing bits is a hassle.

1 Like

Thank you for the excellent advice I really appreciate it. The first thing I am going to do is review the on-line classes then built the machine and become very familiar with it. The first project will be a simple drop tray then a cutting board or two and then I have a family crest I want to tackle and I am sure I will be looking for help. I have numerous projects in mind as my skill operating the machine grows.

1 Like

I went with the more expensive set as I do not have any luck with Harbor Freight stuff. I really enjoyed your on-line classes, very helpful.

Thanks James. Hope you are having success with your machine.

1 Like

I bought a set of Harbor Freight Tee Handled Metric Allen Wrenches. They seem to be made of cardboard instead of tool steel. Every time I used one I had to grind the tip to keep it square. They were the softest set of allen wrenches I ever bought. The idea of Tee handle wrenches is a good one but not from Harbor Freight.

I have had somewhat the same problem with Harbor freight stuff in general so I stay away from them.

1 Like

NOW THE FUN BEGINS!!!

I referenced a SamCraft YouTube video on my Pro XXL build. It had a few tips that came in handy. I think there is a build video on Carbide3D as well.

I had my table built already so that helped as well.

I can’t wait to see your first project. :sunglasses:

The fun is just about to begin I am wrapping up the garage/shop clean up and remodel. I am going to use two Seville work tables from Amazon for the the machine and I believe there is a build video on Carbide,.I will most likely start with a simple drop tray or cutting board and move on to more complicated designs as my skill improves.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.