New Nomad 3 Owner / Particle Vacuum Recommendation

Hello,

I just picked up a Nomad 3.

Does anyone recommend a quiet vacuum to attach to the spindle? Which one? Just want to make sure to collect particles and chips, while I’m in the same workshop. I don’t want to breathe in anything really bad over time.

Thank you all ahead of time.

I found out about the Dewalt Stealth Sonic shopvac here on the forum. Don’t have one myself, but know a couple people who purchased them after I told them about it & who subsequently showed them to me.
And they are indeed very quiet for a Shopvac - I’m itching to take one apart to see how the impeller design has been changed to reduce noise.
Anyway, they are quiet enough to almost not notice when in-use indoors.
You can get a HEPA rated filter to put in there & then basically you’re catching pretty much everything.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good lead! I’ll take a look at it and the price point as well.

Did anyone here add a bottom to the mill that then feeds to a vacuum?

Usually folks just use a dust shoe:

I use a Hoover TX50pet which is super quiet and HEPA. I use a cyclone unit to drop of most of the stuff to make the bags last forever.
I am currently using @wmoy adapter but the aerodynamics of it make it the noisiest part of the system so I am going to redesign it. (I think it is the nubs holding the magnetics which cause a lot of noise/turbulence)

1 Like

Oh, this is great! Yeah, I will have to cut a hole in the acrylic if I want to attach it to the spindle. Or get a workbench with an open bottom.

I laser cut a spare side window (so have the original to put

back if needed)…

5 Likes

Oops poor formatting as on phone.
Note the sandwich box under the cyclone for quick and easy emptying.

1 Like

This is a nice little setup.

@flynnjs Now that is a really nice setup!

Did you use a Co2 laser? I just have a diode so that is going to wreak it. haha.

That bottom container is smart for quick emptying.

Yes, CO2 in the makerspace

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.