New Spindle and dust collection

Very nice design. Did you pick up that extension tube at a big box store? If you ever get the designed worked out, I will be happy to forward you $ for the STL files for printing.

Super cool! Could you swap screws/lever mechanism with the Sweepy such that the Sweepy and your design becomes 1 unit? And the quick-release mechanism is on your 3D printer part?

Various dust collection heights is perhaps something C3D overlooked in testing - would be great to get a clear injection molded part based off your design.

Thank you!

@Talus as soon as I make the adjustments and print the next iteration, I’ll post the files. I have no desire to make money off this, instead give back to this awesome community.

I bought the pvc pipe on amazon:

POWERTEC 70176V Clear PVC Dust Collection Pipe 2-1/2" x 36" Long, 1PK Amazon.com

@greg5 totally! That’s what I poorly phrased here…

After sleeping on it, I’m going to adjust the spacing and also print a quick release cam for the coupler as well, so the entire assembly is tool-less

2 Likes

I’m working on printing 1st iteration of my idea today. It will just slide on over the “nose” of the spindle and the Sweepy will just clamp it into position. I put a bunch of holes in it, so airflow should still be good.

2 Likes

Love it! When I first was thinking about the problem, I was also thinking about sliding something around the reduction in the spindle shaft, but thought that it would restrict the airflow. Clever mitigation on your design.

1 Like

Matt, you probably don’t need a clamp on the top ring, provided the pipe connection to the sweepy is solid. You might find it gets in the way.

I’ve been using this method for a while and found that it’s best if the top ring is a little bit loose. The connection to the boot is sturdy enough. Having it a little loose in the top ring makes height adjustments on the boot fast, and it’s plenty stable.

2 Likes

Nailed it on the first try! Designed in F360 and resin printed. I’ll add the stl to my Thingiverse account.

5 Likes

Linky:

3 Likes

Very nice! I tried to send you a tip over there, but noticed you weren’t set up for that.

1 Like

I never remember to. :smiley:

Alright I got my spindle in this weekend.

The Sweepy is definitely an issue. Anything longer then the shortest of bits won’t get coverage by the sweepy. I hope C3D releases an updated Sweepy down the road, possibly with a discount to spindle users.

That said, I’m printing this adapter now to help out. Hopefully it stays put, or maybe I can tape it in place.

Otherwise the spindle is great, C3D sorted out some QC issues and sent me a new one. I removed the 0.2mm shim I had in place on my mount before with the Makita trim router and I’m now within 1 thou front to back and side to side. (No shims, just spindle straight into the 65mm mount)

2 Likes

If you’re talking about mine, it doesn’t inherently stay in place… at least off my resin printer. The clamping force of the Sweepy keeps it in place.

1 Like

Ah ok, that’s going to make adjusting it a bit less straightforward than hoped. Hopefully an interim measure.

1 Like

FDM printer and it will stay in place on it’s own! Big bonus. Perhaps it will get loose over time. I might reprint in ABS, I’ll see if the spindle stays cool to the touch during long machining jobs. If it warms up I’d worry about PLA becoming a bit soft.

4 Likes

Nice! My spindle doesn’t get much over ambient.

1 Like

C3d has a new sweepy for the hdm.

It says only for hdm but design might be adapted to other models. The $150.00 price would encourage home grown versions.

What type of clamp do you have on the flex vac hose. (black handle, squeeze type). Where did you get it ?

thanks

Got em at BusyBee tools which is Canadian, but I imagine they are everywhere?

1 Like

Various options available at Woodcraft and other woodworking shops:

1 Like

I purchased this same style clamps at my local Woodcraft and on Amazon.

1 Like