New to CNC, Leaning towards Shapeoko but question - belts vs lead screws/ball screws

What sorts of things do you plan to be making with the machine? What sorts of materials?

3 Likes

The belts and v-wheels can be considered somewhat replaceable. I’ve broken a few v-wheels in my time, but if there was a leadscrew in place something else would need to break/give. That’s the nice side of having the belts/v-wheels, is the cost to repair/replace is significantly less compared to a more rigid machine that if it encounters something it’s not able to move through, something else is going to give somewhere else on the machine.
Belt stretch can happen. How much is hard to say. I haven’t tightened the belts (and pretty sure no one else has) at the makerspaces shapeoko xxl near me and it’s been a solid 2-3 years. I tested them not too long ago and they are a bit on the loose end, but people are still putting out fine projects even with them being loose.
Hardwood being your main thing, I’d think it’d be fine.
Obviously all of us are likely biased here, though.
The other thing I will say is the support side of things is fantastic on the shapeoko side of things, and might be something to consider.

5 Likes

I’m fairly new to CNC myself so I’m not the best person to give advice on which type of drive is better.

I’ve cut plywood, solid maple, a bit of mahogany, and not seen any issues with the belts. Hardwoods are fine. No part of the machine feels like it’s inadequate to do anything I’d need to do, or more. The belts don’t stretch. Maybe they could if defective, but not as designed.

I will say that I’ve seen some real masterpieces come off of the shapeoko, but it’s the community, the wider user base, and technical support from carbide 3D that pushed me over the edge to make a purchase of a Shapeoko Pro XXL over all others.

My pre-purchase research taught me that it isn’t uncommon to have some kind of issues setting up a new CNC from any company. Support was an important factor for me, as I didn’t want to be left on my own to figure things out after investing in a 3K machine. My experience with their support team has been excellent, so I have zero regrets.

All that aside - just really wanted to say congratulations for striking out as your own. You will find no better boss than yourself. Best of luck!

4 Likes

Hi, I plan on using mainly hardwoods such as purpleheart, ebony, cherry, blood wood and some softwoods as well. Building guitar parts, guitar accessories, guitar bodies, guitar necks and other odds not guitar related at times.

1 Like

You point out a lot of the very things that have kept me coming back to Carbide3D/Shapeoko. Very very true, thank you

I keep jumping between the Shapeoko 4 XXL and Pro XXL

1 Like

Sorry,

Read your post properly this time, hardwood and a bit of Aluminium.

You might want to consider the Shapeoko Pro, the linear rails are a step up from the V wheels, for the extra money.

As Gary and Josh say, the V wheels and belts make for quite a forgiving machine, no ways to oil, things tend to bend instead of break when you inevitably crash the machine, there’s lots of users here who use the machines who can help you out with even the oddest of use cases (engraving stone slabs for example).

I’ve used my SO3 XXL to make all sorts of birch ply, hardwood and Aluminium things, including upgrade parts for the SO3 itself.

The Pro will let you do all the same stuff, but faster and get a slightly better finish on Aluminium etc. straight off the machine. The downside is you need to occasionally oil the linear rails and not let them get rusty.

I would avoid a leadscrew, I find them to combine the unwanted issues of ballscrews and belts in one nasty package. They have significant backlash, you don’t want to climb cut using them, they’re unforgiving etc.

Edit - may also be worth saying, I spent quite a while figuring out whether the toothed belts inherently have backlash, the answer is no, probably less than most ballscrews, they can deflect under heavy cutting loads but if you behave and use roughing then finishing passes, I regularly get within 0.1mm on the first run.

You already pointed out that the 1F is half a machine, it’s missing the table and all the workholding. There may be so many unboxing vids as you point out because 1F marketing sent a machine for free to loads of YouTube makers.

If you take a look through the forums here you’ll see that workholding is a major part of making your machine pleasant and quick to use, the new modular T slot and slats tables on the Pro are excellent for this.

If I was to go elsewhere I’d be looking at an Avid or maybe the X-thing Pro but both of those are substantially more money.

HTH

5 Likes

The Pro is the machine to get if you’ll be using the machine regularly and pushing it hard, and if machine time translates to money — the 4 is the one to get if you won’t use the machine as often, or are willing to translate a bit of extra machine time into fiscal savings.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I had/have the same materials in mind for what I wanted to cut, and that’s exactly why I went with the Pro XXL over the 4. I felt the pro would give me more flexibility long-term. I don’t know often I’ll be cutting aluminum, but it’s good to know it has the ability if I want it.

1 Like

I will note that the SO3 (and by extension the 4) cuts alu. just fine:

2 Likes

Very nice and lots of great info. I feel your saying exactly how I feel and why keep coming back to Carbide3D/Shapeoko. Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Very much, I’m starting to lean towards the Pro.

I’d like be running 4-5 days a week for 5 hours or so each day eventually. Currently I work for myself woodworking 30 hours a week from home and 20 hours a week as a luthier/guitar technician for a guitar manufacturer. My idea is to work only for myself 40+ hours a week. Have the CNC running some of the load and some of the load myself and of course leave the guitar manufacturer I work for.

1 Like

It sounds like woodworking as whole is not a hobby that will fall by the wayside in a year or two. As you are already in the field, and if you decide on Shapeoko, I would def recommend the Pro over the 4.

3 Likes

As someone who loves ballscrews, I think I can give you some reassurance.

Ballscrews make sense when you need oodles of accuracy and rigidity:

• Ballscrews, as hunks of solid steel, don’t move around a whole lot under load, especially when they’re properly supported at both ends. They have load ratings into the literal ton range.
  • Depending on the screw, they have very little or zero backlash.
  • Your standard China ballscrew is of accuracy grade C7, which means you’ve got a maximum error of ±50µm per 300mm, or an error of ±0.15mm over an entire Shapeoko’s work area.
  • Your slightly nicer China ballscrew is accuracy grade C5, which allows a bit under half the deviation of C7.

So ballscrews are nice but they come with a cost: On a hobby machine, you’re looking at ~$100 per C7 screw on its own, so on a Shapeoko, 2 for Y, 1 for X and 1 for Z, or 4 screws for ~$400. In addition to the screws themselves, you usually need to buy:

• A fixed support for at least one end of the ballscrew (~$50)
  • A floating support for one end of the ballscrew (~$40)
  • A block to turn the round ballscrew nut into a square mounting surface (~$30)
  • Ballscrew/motor coupling (~$5)

Add up all the needed accessories and you’re looking at ~$250 per screw, or $1000 for a full Shapeoko.

Now compare to belts.

This may be obvious to you but it wasn’t to me: when you use a belt, the strength doesn’t come from the rubber. There’s a core inside the belt made of steel or a high strength fiber like kevlar. The rubber just gives the core padding and grip on the pulleys. This in mind, you can see spec sheets for belts like this one that show you a modest 10mm belt will elongate only 4µm under its 320N load rating. For reference, 320N is around the cutting force you’d experience if you were slotting 6082 Aluminium with a 6mm endmill at a depth of cut of 9.5mm, a feed rate of 2250mm/min and 18k RPM. That cut also maxes out a 2.2kW spindle and I’d be very surprised if the stepper motors on a Shapeoko can keep up with that force.

(320N around a 40mm circumference pulley = 320N on a 6.3mm arm = 2Nm, which is on the high end of what a NEMA23 stepper can handle)

All that to say that belts have the potential to give you a ton more rigidity than your machine really needs. Sure it’s less than a ballscrew but you’re not building a VMC here.

As for accuracy, I haven’t tested this but I believe it’s really down to the accuracy of your motors. The belt itself is essentially just a cable, so there’s not much that can screw it up.

So for all this wonderfully practical rigidity and accuracy, what must you pay? About $5 per belt, plus maybe ~$20 for a couple of pulleys.

The cost of belts is that yes, you may occasionally have to do some fiddling and maintenance, making sure your belts are tensioned properly. If you have a look around this forum, you’ll see plenty of people have come up with creative ways to make that easy.

So for practical purposes on a hobby CNC, they do the job at literally 1/10th of the price.

I’ll also add that ballscrews/leadscrews are not maintenance free. They need to be regularly lubricated and they accumulate disgusting gunk like you wouldn’t believe. They’re also treated as consumables and need to be replaced from time to time, just like belts (though they have very long service lives).

As for V-wheels vs rails, I’d personally recommend linear rails, because they add an insane amount of rigidity without adding too much cost and I get the impression they’re much less of a pain to maintain.

And finally, Carbide 3D, likely not coincidentally, has a spectrum of combinations you can choose from:

• Belts and V-wheels: Shapeoko 4: $2300
  • Belts and linear rails: Shapeoko Pro: $2800
  • Ballscrews and linear rails: Shapeoko HDM: $4900

As for recommendations, honestly, for wood and very little work with metals, the Shapeoko 3/4 will probably work just fine for you but as others are saying, if you’re cutting a lot, the Shapeoko Pro might be nicer from a maintenance perspective.

But for your original question: you don’t need ballscrews. Maybe if you were cutting metal all day long, but you’re not.

Hopefully this can banish any doubts you have from your mind.

18 Likes

Very very nice here. Thank you very much for all this information and taking the time. This very much helped out and made lots of sense. Very awesome. I definitely have decided to go for the Shapeoko Pro being how much I plan to use it and the rigidity. I’ve read that with the rigidity comes a slight improvement in speed and accuracy. Yeah I’ve never had a problem with the idea of belts but it seems to be the great argument among some others like 1F owners lol. And as you’ve pointed out the upkeep and replacement part cost of belts and pulleys is minimal.

Super excited to get it here soon and start some fun times.

7 Likes

They gotta justify their purchase somehow.

1 Like

I started with a Shapeoko 3 that eventually had an aluminum extrusion bed, HDZ, and all the accessories. The SO4 and Pro I now have outpace it by a good margin, although it is still running great for my friend. I have found that 85% of the time I run the exact same gcode on my SO4 as I do my SOPro. They really are pretty close, so the good news is that there isn’t a bad option. When I’m trying to maximize a larger batch I can run the Pro slightly harder and/or get slightly better finish.

3 Likes

Based on your usage forecast, I’d definitely go with the pro model

1 Like

I went through a very similar period of anguish. All of the comments to “buy your second machine first” really had me paralyzed. Fulfill my salivation for a CNC Router Parts (Avid)? Or get a “toy” I’d just be disappointed with, amounting to throwing money in the garbage?

I finally decided with a couple revelations:

• if I was going to justify something pricey, I’d need to be making money from it (at this stage in life, I can kind of justify S03 levels of $$, but no way in hell could I get an Avid past the wife). In my opinion, the limiting factor in making money, if one is going to do it, is creativity and execution, not the machine

• kind of similar, but with the length of time I’d try and save up for an Avid, I could have actually been making and being creative all that time.

(Oh, and I received some incredibly generous seed money toward a CNC router from my dad for my birthday after helping take care of him and my mom after a hip replacement).

Anyway, I could not be more thrilled with the S03. So much so, it kind of baffles me what people write about these “toy” machines, making me wonder if they’ve ever used them?

At least, this is for my use-case which is 99.5% wood (balance being a couple projects in aluminum, and some in acrylic). For some things I’m proud of:

• these CNC “photos”
  • keyboard plate and case (with the plate being precise enough to retain all the switches such that they mated perfectly to a PCB that required exact spacing for the leads). I don’t have pictures of it, but I recently re-located the case after glue-up to machine little counterbores for threaded inserts. It was just dead on. I thought for sure I wouldn’t get this step right. Nope. As perfect as I could have wanted.
  • this inlaid Honda badge for a community challenge
  • if I had any remaining hesitations on the machine, they were completely erased on this chess set made via two sided flipping

Of course, you’ll get biased answers from S03 owners… but I also read the same things you read, then used this machine, and continue to think that I am the vast majority of the limitation. I have so much to continue learning with respect to CAD, CAM, fixturing, optimizing, and simply coming up with things to make/try… I have no hunger for a more powerful machine as I have not pursued the limits of this one.

The caveat I’d add is this is for my situation, which involves creative “huh, I wonder if I could make…?” scenarios like the above. I’m not hogging through 3/4 plywood via full depth passes with a 1/2 in bit like I see some on youtube doing, or making 50-up pieces on a deadline, or machining aluminum (though @Vince.Fab should be empirical evidence the S03 can do this just fine as well).

If my scenario changed, my ability to use the S03 could also change… so far, though, I would honestly say I keep expecting it not to be as good as it is, but it keeps being even better than that.

8 Likes

Thank you John and I totally agree with you with everything you say here. Like you said I questioned hundreds of times the reliability, quality and more of the Shapeoko vs others like Avid as you mentioned. Like you in the end honestly could not see the reasons to blow that amount starting CNC. Plus as you said my fiancé would definitely have my head lol. It’s taken me over 15 years now to convince her the difference in cheap vs decent quality lol. I do believe in buy once cry once but that doesn’t mean you have to buy the Ferrari lol.

Beautiful work you have done. Love the piece’s with the dogs, very very awesome. Very creative approach your doing here, very awesome.

And yes as you mentioned about creativity and execution being key here. I couldn’t agree more. At first when I started to toss around the thought of CNC I was very weary but my fiancé and a couple friends were like dude the thing that has always sit you apart in woodworking from most others is your creativity and approach. Most others are doing the same as the guy or lady before them and basically it’s just a copy of a copy. I agree because I like to always do my own thing and it’s not necessarily that I’m trying to be unique but as I suppose I get bored. I sometimes want to express myself and push the envelope lol.

I gotta say this forum and community has gotta be one of the best I have ever joined. That’s a really great thing. Thank you John

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.