Nomad 3 Getting Started Doc

I’m very slowly getting started. I’ve used a Shaper Origin but getting going with a real CNC is intimidating.

Reading the official Getting Started Doc again while trying to set up a file in Carbide Create I’ve found the Doc is making me even more confused in a couple of areas.

On page 34, Toolpath Types

Inside
Outside
Pocket
Engrave

What those words stand for is clear enough but in Carbide Create I can’t find an Engrave option.
Is Contour with 0 offset the same thing?

On page 35, Feeds and Speeds

“you don’t have to worry about speeds and feeds—unless you want to. MeshCAM automatically calculate speeds and feeds based multiple project variables, including machine, material, and cutter and Carbide Create uses a curated set of speeds and feeds based on material and use-case.”

When does this kick in? In my copy of CC there is only one tool in the Library, the default 1/8" end mill. I found out searching online that I can add to the library via a right click but then I need to supply all the feed and speed characteristics for the tool and I don’t know any of this.

“you don’t have to worry about speeds and feeds—unless you want to.”

I don’t. Is my copy of CC missing some stuff?

I’ll be cutting brass with a 1/32" three flute end mill. Aluminum is the closest material choice in CC.
Cutting this stuff with the Shaper Origin I used a plunge speed of 3 and a feed of 4 and .02" doc.
Turned out ok with no breakage but maybe the doc should be less? If so, I definitely want to use the Nomad. Cutting brass with the SO gets tedious.

I want to use a 1/32" end mill cutting on the line (Engrave) to cut apart individual brass tiles so in my design I have a line 1/64" away from the invisible edge of the tile. I want to use the same bit to cut single line letters within the tiles. I’m making replacement Master Copy for an old pantograph engraver. And I’ll also use a 30 degree engraving bit to bevel the top and bottom edges of the tiles to fit in the type carrier.

Do I really need to find parameters for these bits to add them to the Library? Do I even need to put the bits in the library? If contour and 0 offset is the same as engrave can’t I just change the bit at the appropriate time and let CC go on thinking it’s using the default 1/8" bit?

Partially solved, downloaded the new version of CC and there are more tool libraries. Maybe more importantly discovered that you need to double click (the same as right click?) to get the category to open.

So now that the tools are selected for the file, MeshCam will throttle the speed and feed for the job?

Engrave is a Pro only toolpath option — we’ll need to update that in the instructions.

If you use the Carbide 3D (Nomad) license in MeshCAM it will take care of feeds and speeds for any materials which it has support for.

As noted, the new Carbide Create has updated tool libraries and feeds and speeds — pretty much all the tooling Carbide 3D sells should be in it, and the descriptions are general, and one can use the feeds and speeds for similar materials — for instance, use Softwood if you’re cutting MDF.

Extensive discussion at:

and

Engrave toolpath is Pro only, does that mean in the free version you can’t get the bit to follow on a line? Only to one side of the line?

So to cut the tiles I need to put the edges of the tiles back in instead of using a line in between them? And use the contour toolpath with no offset.

But to cut the letters in the middle of a tile (single line only 1/32” wide) I’d have to use the Pro version?

I think he means engraving as more 3D engraving in this case.
Engraving as in following lines, pocketing inside or outside the lines and doing vcarve is all possible. You can get a lot done, and use a ton of tricks to do some good engraving even with 2D toolpaths.
Use a vbit or engraver with 0 offset to bevel edges for example.

Using the simulation is very helpful to visualize what might be.

Following a line with any cutter is exactly what no-offset contour is for.

An example without CC Pro:

An example of pro:

No, one can have a no offset contour toolpath, see:

Ok, so Contour and no offset will do what I want. Don’t understand how that is different from Engrave but as long as the bit will go where I want to the depth I want that’s good enough for now.

And not needing to spell out exactly how to do that thanks to MeshCam is a big relief.

Simulation indicates the result I’ll be what I want.

Thanks Nikolai and Will.

The Engrave Toolpath also has an infill option, eliminating the need for the texture fill which I used.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.