Nomad 3d crashes into stock after tool change

Hello,

it is now the third time, that my machine crashes into the stock after a tool change. The first two times I thought that I maybe have done something wrong in my toolpaths. But this time, I am pretty sure that everything should be fine. The toolpaths were created with VCarve Desktop and exported via this (GitHub - neilferreri/V-Carve-PPs: Posts for Vectric V-Carve) post processor.

After changing the tool, my Nomad measured the tool with the Bitsetter. Then the spindle turned on and the machine lowered itself down to the stock height. But instead of slowing down when reaching the z-zero, it drove right through the stock.

Does anyone have an idea what could have been the issue here? For reference I also included the generated gcode:
engraving_hands2.nc (202.3 KB)

Is it maybe possible that the Bitzero is causing the issue? I usually leave the Bitzero connected and just put it on the side.

Thanks,
Bernhard

The safety/retract height seems rather high:

Is it possible that you are running up against the top of travel on the Z-axis and losing steps there?

Thanks for your reply!

It didn’t look like that the machine was hitting the top of the z travel. And with the first tool that was inserted, it was milling fine. But after then after the tool change it drove right through the stock.

I’ve also found this topic here: Nomad 3 Oddity On Tool Changes
In this thread, the author mentioned that he got an error when the Bitzero was plugged in and touching the surface while the machine tries to probe the tool. I am wondering if that is always the case that it aborts with an error or, if as in my case, it could mess with the tool probing?

The BitZero needs to be set aside and the groundlead placed in such a way that it will not trigger as a probe input while probing.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I am not sure if it actually touched, but I guess it could indeed have been the case. Do you think that this could have been the reason for the crash?

All bets are off if something interferes with the correct measurement of the tool length offset.

Got it. Thanks a lot for your time and your help here - very much appreciated!

I’ll make sure that the Bitzero doesn’t touch anything. Hopefully this fixes the issue :crossed_fingers:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.