Nomad bed flatness

I was curious how level the Nomad bed was so decided to measure it. Since I have a 3D probe I can produce a nice 2D image of it, so here you go:

nomadbed

Those small 0mm spots in the image are from the mounting holes and screws on the bed. Those can be ignored.

I was surprised to see that the deviation is 0.05mm (I think 2 thou in Imperial?). That seems like a lot to me but I don’t know what’s normal. I suppose you’re meant to put something on top of the bed and then surface it anyway.

3 Likes

At some point production of Nomads included surfacing the bed using the machine as part of calibration/commissioning — not sure when that process was begun. Contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

1 Like

I have one of the Nomads before the production surfacing. When it first arrived the front right corner was 0.35 mm higher than the front left corner. I can certainly imagine the MiC-6 plate warps a bit when getting tightened down, errors in the other parts add up, etc, etc. Resurfaced it and within .015 mm all 4 corners and the middle.

Call me odd but when I bolt the threaded table on top I do the bolt tightening in the same order I would when putting a head on an engine cylinder - center first then cross pattern. Does it make a difference? Probably not but it calms the demons in my head.

What I do need to do is surface the threaded table - that looks more like what you see on the bed.

4 Likes

The thought did also cross my mind that if one did bolt something not perfectly flat to the MIC-6 bed with enough torque and kept it on there perhaps that would eventually warp the bed as well? That bed is cast aluminum but not exceptionally thick. Not a metallurgist here…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.